Mapping cones and Homology groups

In summary: Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}H_i(W) = 0 for i \geq 2The homology groups of the universal cover of W are all trivial, i.e. H_i(\widetilde{W}) = 0 for all i \geq 0.
math8
Let [tex] W[/tex] be the mapping cone of the map [tex]f: S^{1}
\rightarrow S^{1} [/tex] defined by [tex]f(z)= z^{p}[/tex]

How do you compute the homology groups of [tex]W[/tex]? What about the homology groups of the Universal covering of [tex]W[/tex]?

I know that the mapping cone [tex]C_f[/tex] of [tex]f:X\rightarrow Y[/tex], is defined to be the quotient of the mapping cylinder of f and [tex]X[/tex]. Or we can say,
Given a map [tex]f:X\rightarrow Y[/tex], the mapping cone [tex]C_f[/tex] is defined to be the quotient topological space of [tex] (X \times I) \sqcup Y [/tex] with respect to the equivalence relation [tex] (x, 0) \sim (x',0)\,, (x,1) \sim f(x)\, [/tex], on [tex]X[/tex]. Here [tex]I[/tex] denotes the unit interval [tex][0,1] [/tex] with its standard topology.

But I am not sure how to start using this definition of the mapping cone, to find the homology groups of [tex]W[/tex] and of its universal cover.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please guide me through the steps?

To compute the homology groups of W, we can use the Mayer-Vietoris sequence. Let A = S^1 \times [0,1) and B = S^1 \times (0,1], then A \cup B = (S^1 \times [0,1)) \cup (S^1 \times (0,1]) = S^1 \times [0,1]. We can see that A and B are open sets covering W and their intersection is homotopy equivalent to the space S^1 \vee S^1 (the wedge sum of two circles).

Now, we can apply the Mayer-Vietoris sequence to the pair (W, S^1 \vee S^1) to get the long exact sequence:

...\rightarrow H_1(S^1 \vee S^1) \rightarrow H_0(W) \rightarrow H_0(S^1) \rightarrow H_0(S^1 \vee S^1) \rightarrow H_0(W) \rightarrow 0

Since H_1(S^1 \vee S^1) = 0 and H_0(S^1) = 0, we get:

0 \rightarrow H_0(W) \rightarrow H_0(S^1 \vee S^1) \rightarrow H_0(W) \rightarrow 0

This implies that H_0(W) \cong \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z}. Similarly, we can compute the other homology groups using the Mayer-Vietoris sequence and get:

H_1(W) \cong \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}
H_i(W) = 0 for i \geq 2

To compute the homology groups of the universal cover of W, we can use the fact that the universal cover of W is homotopy equivalent to the infinite cylinder, which is contractible. Therefore, all of its homology groups are trivial, i.e. H_i(\widetilde{W}) = 0 for all i \geq 0.

To summarize, the homology groups of W are:

H_0(W) \cong \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z}
H_1(W) \con

1. What are mapping cones and how are they used in homology groups?

Mapping cones are a mathematical tool used to construct long exact sequences of homology groups. They are defined as the cone of a given map between two chain complexes, and provide a way to study the relationship between their homology groups.

2. How do mapping cones help in understanding the structure of homology groups?

Mapping cones allow us to visualize the structure of homology groups by providing a way to study the maps and their interactions between different chain complexes. They also help in computing the homology groups of more complex spaces.

3. Can mapping cones be used to compute homology groups of any space?

In general, mapping cones can be used to compute the homology groups of any space, as long as the maps between chain complexes are known. However, for more complicated spaces, other techniques such as spectral sequences may be needed to compute their homology groups.

4. How do mapping cones relate to other algebraic structures in homology theory?

Mapping cones are closely related to other algebraic structures in homology theory, such as chain complexes, exact sequences, and homotopy groups. They provide a way to study the relationship between these structures and understand their properties.

5. Are there any applications of mapping cones and homology groups in real-world problems?

Mapping cones and homology groups have numerous applications in various fields, such as topology, algebraic geometry, and physics. They are used to study the structure of spaces and provide a powerful tool for analyzing and solving real-world problems.