1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mapping Notation

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1
    Mapping Rule

Say I have the function [itex]y = 2 \sin 3(x - 20)[/itex] and the corresponding mapping notation [itex] (x, y) \rightarrow (\frac{1}{3}x + 20, 2y)[/itex] (which I assume is correct.) How come I take the inverse of the amplitude (2) and horizontal "compression" (3), and how come a negative phase shift moves the wave to the right? What is the true purpose of mapping notation? :smile:

edit: I guess this is more properly called "mapping rule," true?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are saying, I think, that x'= (1/3)x+20 and y'= 2y. Okay, then x= 3(x'-20)= 3x- 60 and y= y'/2. Substituting those, y= 2sin(3(x- 20)) becomes y'/2= 2 sin(x') or y'= 4sin(x') (Did you intend y-> y/2 rather than y-> 2y? That would give y'= sin(x'), much simpler).

The amplitude of y'= 4sin(x') is, of course, 4. I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "inverse of amplitude". The amplitude is a number and perhaps by "inverse" you mean "reciprocal. The point is, as I stated above, that gives Ay'= Asin(...) and so the A's cancel.

"how come a negative phase shift moves the wave to the right". Well, any y= sin(x- b) is 0 when x- b= 0 which is the same as saying x= b. That is, the graph is move from x= 0 to x= b.

4. Sep 26, 2005 #3
    I've never had it explained like that before but I think I get what you mean.

When I said "inverse" I did mean "reciprocal," sorry.

According to my teacher, an amplitude of x (in standard form) will be 1/x in my mapping rule, but I see it doesn't work out right the way you did it. Is something wrong?

Am I right in saying the the mapping rule maps the function you're working with to sin(x)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook