Mapping Space with Clocks: Deduce Distances/Observers w/ Constant Light Speed

In summary, with clocks and light signals, it is possible to measure distance. However, in order to accurately determine the distance to an event, at least four known events with synchronized clocks and known positions are required. This can be achieved through the use of radar technology, as demonstrated in the GPS system.
I_ponder
Suppose that we do not have any way to measure distance, but do have clocks. There are N observers, who can all see the distant events, say spaceships taking off and landing on far away planets. The question is: assuming the speed of light is constant, can we deduce the distance to the events and other observers based on differing delays? What is the minimum number of observers/observations required?

I know this is a general question, but I would be interested in a general solution, and any necessary preconditions.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have clocks and light signals then you can measure distance.

I think you missed the point.

If I have 1 observer, he cannot measure distance just using a clock. All he can do is time events. That's not measuring distance.

If the there are 2 observers, and they both see the same events, then they can time events, and one observer can tell the other one what they saw as the delay in between them. But using that information how do they know how far apart they are? Or how far the event was? Perhaps one is accelerating? Perhaps they are both are? Perhaps they are tracking a single object that is accelerating?

How many observations do we need? How many observers?

Can anyone produce an algorithm?

DaleSpam said:
... light signals ...
I_ponder said:
...what they saw as the delay...

Seems like you are saying the same thing as DaleSpam.

I_ponder said:
If I have 1 observer, he cannot measure distance just using a clock
If he can use light signals in conjunction with his clock then he certainly can use his clock to measure distance. This is called RADAR

If you have one unknown event and four known events which are null separated (meaning that a light signal can go between the known events and the unknown event) then you can write four equations in four unknowns and solve for the time and position of the unknown event. The four events have to be known, otherwise you have more unknowns than equations.

So you would need more than just the clocks, they would need to be synchronized and you would need to know their positions in some reference frame. This is how GPS works. One of the very important parts of the GPS system is the radars which are used to make sure that we accurately know the positions of the GPS satellites. It is all just clocks and light signals. You cannot do it without the light signals, but with them it is possible to determine the time and location of an unknown event using four "observer clocks".

1. How do clocks help in mapping space?

Clocks are used in mapping space by providing an accurate measure of time, which is essential in determining distances and the position of objects in space. By measuring the time it takes for light to travel from one point to another, scientists can calculate the distance between those points and create a map of space.

2. Why is it important to use constant light speed in mapping space?

Using a constant light speed is crucial in mapping space because it allows for accurate measurements and calculations. The speed of light is a universal constant, meaning it does not change, making it a reliable reference point for mapping distances in space.

3. How do scientists deduce distances using clocks?

Scientists use clocks to deduce distances by measuring the time it takes for light to travel from one point to another. By knowing the speed of light as a constant, they can calculate the distance by multiplying the speed of light by the time it took for light to travel.

4. How can mapping space with clocks help us understand the universe?

Mapping space with clocks can help us understand the universe by providing information about the size, structure, and location of objects in space. This can help us gain a better understanding of the universe's origins and evolution.

5. Are there any limitations to using clocks in mapping space?

While clocks are an essential tool in mapping space, there are limitations to their use. For example, the accuracy of clocks may be affected by factors such as gravitational pull, which can alter the measurement of time. Additionally, clocks can only measure distances within a limited range, making it challenging to map objects that are extremely far away.