1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mapping torus is an (m+1)-manifold

1. Nov 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X be an m-manifold. Let M(f) be the space obtained from [itex]X\times [0,1][/itex] by gluing the ends together using [itex](x,0)\sim (f(x),1)[/itex]. Show that if M is an m-manifold then M(f) is an (m+1)-manifold.

3. The attempt at a solution

Since X has an atlas [itex]\{ (U_\alpha,\varphi_\alpha) \}[/itex], my first instinct was to define coordinate charts by [itex] \psi_\alpha : U_\alpha \times [0,1] \to \mathbb{R}^{m+1}; (x,t) \to (\varphi_\alpha(x),t)[/itex] but then we have to worry about the end-points. Right now I'm attempting to understand the solutions.

The idea behind the solutions is to map points with [itex]1<t< 1[/itex] in the usual way and to separately consider a point on the gluing edge [itex](x,0) \sim (f(x),1)[/itex]. There is a coordinate chart [itex]\varphi : U \subset X \to \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] where U is an open nbhd of x. This gives a coordinate chart at f(x) by [itex](f(U),\varphi\circ f^{-1})[/itex]. Now consider the subset of [itex]X \times [0,1][/itex] given by [itex]W = [0,\epsilon) \times U \cup (1-\epsilon,1]\times f(U)[/itex]. The claim is that this maps homeomorphically onto its image in M(f) but I don't see why. Can anyone help me understand this?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?