Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mappings on partitive sets

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1

Homework Helper

Another problem whose answer I'd like to check. Thanks in advance.

Let X = {1, 2, 3, 4} and Y = {1, 2, 3}. Let P(X) and P(Y) be the power sets of X and Y, respectively.

i) How many continuous mappings are there from the discrete topological spaces (X, P(X)) to (Y, P(Y))?

Well, I figured that every mapping we can define between these topologies is open, since for any open set in Y (i.e. any power set), the preimage must again be a power set in X, so the total number would be [itex]\sum_{i = 1}^3 \frac{3!}{i!}[/itex].

ii) How many open mappings are there?

The same answer.

iii) Is the identity mapping f(x) = x continuous, and if so, is it a homeomorphism?

Here I'm a bit confused, since we can't map 4 to 4, since 4 is not an element of Y. Shouldn't all the elements of the domain X be mapped into some element of Y?
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Just a second, I found an error in i) and ii), will review and post a bit later.
  4. Jul 23, 2010 #3

Homework Helper

A correction of my answer to i) and ii) - the number would be the number of 4-th class variations of 3 elements with repetition, i.e. n = 3^4 = 81.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook