1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marathon Runner Weight?

1. Jan 22, 2005 #1
    Marathon Runner Weight????

I have looked at the following problem and don't see how the weight of runner comes into play. I have solved the problem and my answer matches the one in the back of the book. What am I missing??

A marathon runner has the average metabolism rate of about 950kcal/h during a race. If the runner has a mass of 55kg, estimate how much water she would lose to evaporation from the skin for a race that lasts 2.5h.

My Solution
    Heat = metabolism rate x hrs = 2375 kcal

Weight of water vaporized = Heat/Heat of Vaporation @ 20 C = 2375/585 = 4.1 kg = 4.1 liters :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer is good...It's true,marathonist lose on avg 5Kg of water through sweat in a race.I don't know about that 55Kg,i think it enters in the equation which gives you the heat to evaporate at 37°...You used the figure for 20°.Not even dead,the human body wouldn't have 20°...

Think about it...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?