Keep a Marble in Motion for 2 Minutes - Ideas & Your Thoughts

In summary, there are two suggestions for keeping a marble in motion for 2 minutes. One is to place the marble in a bucket and move the bucket to spin the marble along the walls. Another idea is to use a teeter-totter with a long plastic tube, attaching strings to each side and pulling them alternately to keep the marble moving. However, if only one touch is allowed to start the marble, a pendulum may be a viable option.
Steve B.
How can I keep a marble in motion for 2 minutes?

I've had 2 suggestions so far:

*A simple way would be to put a marble in a bucket and move the bucket so the marble spins along the walls.

*Another idea is to have a teeter-totter, using a long plastic tube. Have a string attached to each side. Put he marble in one one of the tube and pull the other one down. Then alternate pulling an end down to keep the marble moving. Have and caps on the tube so the marble can't escape.

But, if i can only touch it once and that's to start if off. how can i do that way?

Your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
#cough# pendulum #cough#

I would suggest using the principles of inertia and momentum to keep the marble in motion for 2 minutes. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity.

One way to keep the marble in motion for 2 minutes is by using a ramp. Place the marble at the top of the ramp and give it a small push to start it moving. The ramp should be smooth and at a slight angle, so the marble can roll down without any obstacles. This will allow the marble to maintain its momentum and continue rolling for 2 minutes or even longer depending on the angle and smoothness of the ramp.

Another way to keep the marble in motion is by using a pendulum. Attach a string to the marble and suspend it from a fixed point. Give the marble a small push to start it swinging. The pendulum motion will keep the marble in constant motion for 2 minutes or longer.

You could also try using a series of dominoes to keep the marble in motion. Set up a line of dominoes with a small gap between each one. Place the marble at the beginning of the line and give it a push. As the marble knocks over each domino, it will continue moving and knocking over the next one. This will keep the marble in motion for 2 minutes or longer depending on the number of dominoes used.

Overall, the key is to minimize friction and provide a smooth surface for the marble to roll on, as well as using the principles of inertia and momentum to keep it in motion. I hope these ideas are helpful and inspire you to come up with even more creative ways to keep the marble in motion for 2 minutes.

1. How can I keep a marble in motion for 2 minutes?

To keep a marble in motion for 2 minutes, you can try using a ramp or a track with a smooth surface, ensuring that the marble has a continuous path to roll on without any obstacles. You can also experiment with different heights and angles to find the optimal speed and trajectory for the marble.

2. What materials can I use to keep a marble in motion for 2 minutes?

Some materials that you can use to keep a marble in motion for 2 minutes include paper cups, cardboard tubes, wooden blocks, and even household objects like books or shoeboxes. The key is to create a smooth and stable track for the marble to roll on.

3. Can I use magnets to keep a marble in motion for 2 minutes?

Yes, you can use magnets to keep a marble in motion for 2 minutes. You can create a magnetic track by attaching magnets to a cardboard tube or using magnetic strips to create a curved path for the marble to follow. Just make sure the magnets are strong enough to keep the marble in motion without stopping.

4. How can I make the marble's motion more interesting?

There are many ways to make the marble's motion more interesting, such as adding obstacles like loops, jumps, or tunnels to the track. You can also experiment with different types of marbles, such as ones with different sizes or weights, to see how they affect the motion. Another idea is to use a timer or stopwatch to challenge yourself to keep the marble in motion for longer periods of time.

5. What scientific principles are involved in keeping a marble in motion for 2 minutes?

The main scientific principles involved in keeping a marble in motion for 2 minutes include potential and kinetic energy, gravity, and friction. As the marble rolls down the track, it gains kinetic energy and loses potential energy. Gravity pulls the marble towards the ground, while friction between the marble and the track slows it down. By understanding and manipulating these principles, you can keep the marble in motion for longer periods of time.