Marble Probability: Odds of Matching a Friend's Random Pull

In summary, the question is asking for the odds of randomly pulling at least one marble of the same color as a friend's randomly pulled marble from a box containing a total of 100 marbles (15 of each blue, purple, rainbow, orange, yellow, and red, and 10 multicolor marbles), with the assumption that the marbles are automatically replenished.
TKW227
I tried to understand the following concept but a friend of mine came up with a different result. Can someone explain how I would find the odds of the following:

I have a large box full of marbles. It is full of a total of 100 marbles: 15 blue marbles, 15 purple marble, 15 rainbow marbles, 15 orange marbles, 15 yellow marbles, 15 red marbles, and 10 multicolor marbles.

My friend randomly pulls one marble out of the box.

If I randomly pull 4 marbles out of the box, what are the odds that one of the marbles will be the same marble that he pulled out?

Also, please NOTE, consider the marbles to automatically replenish. Therefore, there are always the same amount of each marble.. even after my friend pulls one out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi TKW227! Welcome to PF! :wink:

(so your friend's marble is replaced into the box, but your first three marbles are not replaced?)

Show us your solution, and your friend's solution, and then we'll comment! :smile:

Is the question about having exactly 1 marble of the same color, or at least 1 marble of the same color?

What is the Marble Probability Problem?

The Marble Probability Problem is a mathematical problem that involves drawing marbles from a bag and calculating the probability of certain outcomes based on the number and colors of marbles in the bag.

What are the basic steps to solving the Marble Probability Problem?

The basic steps to solving the Marble Probability Problem are: 1) determining the total number of marbles in the bag, 2) counting the number of marbles of each color, 3) calculating the probability of drawing a specific color marble, 4) repeating the process for multiple draws, and 5) combining the probabilities to determine the overall probability of a specific outcome.

Is the Marble Probability Problem an actual real-world problem?

While the Marble Probability Problem may not have a real-world application in its exact form, it is a mathematical concept that is used in many real-world situations, such as predicting outcomes in games of chance or determining the likelihood of certain events occurring.

What is the difference between with replacement and without replacement in the Marble Probability Problem?

In the Marble Probability Problem, "with replacement" means that the marble is put back into the bag after each draw, while "without replacement" means that the marble is not put back into the bag. This affects the probability of future draws, as the number of marbles in the bag changes.

Can the Marble Probability Problem be solved using other methods besides basic probability calculations?

Yes, there are alternative methods that can be used to solve the Marble Probability Problem, such as using tree diagrams or creating a probability distribution table. These methods may be more useful for more complex problems or for visual learners.