How can I use physics to explain the jump on my marble roller coaster?

In summary, the marble roller coaster project involved designing and creating a marble roller coaster in a physics class. Now, students are required to write a paper explaining one aspect of their coaster, such as the jump. The jump involves vertical and horizontal components of the marble's velocity, determined by its speed and the angle of the jump. The vertical component is affected by gravity, while the horizontal component is not. By using the equation for motion, one can see that the vertical velocity must overcome gravity in order for the marble to continue moving forward. The horizontal velocity is not affected by gravity as it is perpendicular to its pull.
ameriland_06
In my 11th grade physics class we had to design and make a marble roller coaster. Now we have to write a paper explaining how one aspect of our coaster works. I chose to do the jump, but I really have no idea how to explain how this works using physics. Can someone please help me? Also you can add me and talk to me on msn, Ameriland_06@hotmail.com

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone please help me?? i really need help... if you could just put me on the right track. I'm as lost as a snow goose in a blizzard..

Please someone... My time is running out... i need help

Compare the vertical components of the marble's velocity with the horizontal.

The marble is traveling a certain speed and the jump is probably angled upward by some angle. The marble's vertical velocity is it's speed times the sine of the angle of the jump. The horizontal velocity is the marble's speed times the cosine of the angle of the jump.

Look up the equation for motion in your physics book. The vertical component is affected by gravity. The horizontal component isn't.

Thanks for the help, your a really awesome guy for doing this... :smile:

umm... i am having a problem with your with your explination of how a jump works in my marble roller coaster. "The marble is traveling at a certain speed and the jump is angled upward by some angle. The marble's vertical velocity is its speed times the sine of the angle of the jump. The horizontal velocity is the marble's speed times the cosine of the angle of the jump." How does the horizontal and vertical velocity explain why it jumps and works? would it be that the vertical velocity overcomes gravity and the horizontal allows it to continue going forward? Please and Thank you...

Well, it has enough of an initial velocity to overcome gravity for a while. But gravity is accelerating the marble downward. Did you look up your equation for motion. Initial position is posivite (the end of the ramp is above the ground) and the initial velocity is positive (up). Acceleration is negative, since gravity is pulling down.

Horizontal motion is perpendicular to the pull of gravity, so gravity has no affect on the horizontal motion.

1. How do I design a marble roller coaster?

Designing a marble roller coaster involves first creating a blueprint or plan that includes the dimensions, structure, and track layout. Then, you can use materials such as foam pipe insulation or cardboard tubes to build the structure and guide the marble through the track. You can also use a computer-aided design (CAD) program to create a virtual model before building the physical structure.

2. What materials are best for building a marble roller coaster?

The best materials for building a marble roller coaster are lightweight and sturdy, such as foam pipe insulation, cardboard tubes, and wooden dowels. These materials are easy to work with and can be easily cut and shaped to fit your design. Additionally, you can use materials such as glue, tape, and rubber bands to secure the structure and ensure the marbles stay on track.

3. How do I make my marble roller coaster more challenging?

To make your marble roller coaster more challenging, you can incorporate elements such as loops, twists, and drops into the track design. You can also experiment with different angles and slopes to increase the speed and difficulty. Additionally, you can add obstacles or other interactive features to make the coaster more exciting for the marbles and the viewers.

4. What safety precautions should I take when building a marble roller coaster?

When building a marble roller coaster, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, to prevent any injuries while handling materials. It is also recommended to build the coaster on a stable and flat surface to prevent it from collapsing. Lastly, make sure to test the structure and track before sending marbles down to ensure the safety and stability of the coaster.

5. How can I improve the efficiency of my marble roller coaster?

To improve the efficiency of your marble roller coaster, you can use materials that create less friction, such as plastic or metal, for the track and marbles. You can also experiment with different track designs and angles to find the most efficient path for the marbles. Additionally, regularly cleaning and maintaining the track can help reduce any obstacles or debris that could slow down the marbles.