Marcel Marceau: Dead at 84

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Paris: Marcel Marceau died this past weekend in Paris. He was 84 and had been anticipating his death at least since July 1997, when he spent an evening on the terrace of a palace near Salzburg talking about his concern that when he passed the art of mime might die with him. He had a right to be concerned.

His name became synonymous with his art. [continued]
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/09/24/opinion/EDMARCEAU25.php

His last words were: " _____________________________________".

[sorry, I couldn't resist]

Answers and Replies

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A philosophical question - if a tree falls in the forest and hits a mime, does anybody care?

A moment of silence would be in order I think.

His death comes a surprise to me because I thought he died years ago.

SpaceTiger
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't know if mime, specifically, will die, but physical theater is still alive and well. There is no doubt in my mind that his work was an influence on performance groups like Cirque du Soleil.

jtbell
Mentor
Back in the 1970s or 1980s there was a movie (directed by Mel Brooks, I think) titled "Silent Movie" in which, true to the title, no voices were heard except for one word, spoken by none other than Marcel Marceau! I think that word was "Non!" in response to a question.

turbo
Gold Member
Yeah, IIR, Brooks called him on the phone and asked him (subtitled) to appear in the film. I've seen The Producers, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, History of the World, and High Anxiety in the past couple of years. I'll have to rent "Silent Movie" too some time.