March 14th! Happy Pi Day!

Now I'm hungry. What is your favorite pie? Country apple for me :)

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
The 3-berry pie at the Village Inn Restaurant in Iowa City, Iowa. It had blueberry, raspberry, and boysenberry. If I could lick the plate and not embarrass myself, I would have!

Zz.

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
I thought it was about 3.14159265358979.... when I saw the title.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I thought it was about 3.14159265358979.... when I saw the title.

It is, but Greg is hungry, and when he sees "pi", he immediately thinks of "pie".

Besides, pie is tastier than pi.

Zz.

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
I like strawberry pi's than strawberry pies.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gasp- it's pi day!

*dork swoon*

:biggrin: apple pi anyone?

Hey did anyone realize that next year pi day will be 3/14/15...the first 5 digits of pi! Then the year after it will be the value of pi rounded to the 5th decimal place (3/14/16). I think that's it after that one, its like one of those rare astronomical events that happens once in a lifetime.

We better savor it...the pie that is :biggrin:. I don't know what to do about pi...I'll find some circles and calculate their geometric properties :uhh:

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hey did anyone realize that next year pi day will be 3/14/15...the first 5 digits of pi! Then the year after it will be the value of pi rounded to the 5th decimal place (3/14/16). I think that's it after that one, its like one of those rare astronomical events that happens once in a lifetime.

Are there any moronic groups out there predicting some earth-destroying, human-kind-wiping catastrophes for those dates? If there aren't any, I'd like to start one.

Zz.

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
Hey did anyone realize that next year pi day will be 3/14/15...the first 5 digits of pi! Then the year after it will be the value of pi rounded to the 5th decimal place (3/14/16). I think that's it after that one, its like one of those rare astronomical events that happens once in a lifetime

:surprised

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are there any moronic groups out there predicting some earth-destroying, human-kind-wiping catastrophes for those dates? If there aren't any, I'd like to start one.

Zz.
:rofl:

jtbell
Mentor
Isn't Pi Day on April 31 (31/4) in Europe?

Oh wait, there's no April 31. :uhh:

jtbell
Mentor
What is your favorite pie?

Pizza! :!!)

I went to my favorite pizza place yesterday... should have waited until today.

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
... the hapPIest day of the year.

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
I remember the first couple of word-length mnemonics I learnt about pi:
"How I wish I could calculate pi"
"How I like a drink, alcoholic of course,
after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics"

Borek
Mentor
Daj o pani, o boska Mnemozyno, pi liczbę, którą też zowią ludolfiną

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Pizza! :!!)

There's a pizza place that recently opened for business nearby called "Pieology." With such a cool name you would think that they would throw a [itex] \pi [/itex] into their logo, or at least have a pizza volume diagram* in the restaurant somewhere. But alas, no; they don't seem to acknowledge [itex] \pi [/itex] at all. :cry:

*(If you have a pizza of radius z, and depth a, the volume of the pizza is πz2a, or expressing it a different way,
V = pi·zz·a.)

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The 3-berry pie at the Village Inn Restaurant in Iowa City, Iowa. It had blueberry, raspberry, and boysenberry. If I could lick the plate and not embarrass myself, I would have!

Zz.

Ex - Village Inn Restaurant

:cry:

What not another one? My wife and I used to go to a Village Inn that recently closed. I don't think that they ever won over the younger generation. Every time my son went there to eat with us he would say: "this is like eating in a nursing home."

I did noticed that he always finished his piece of French silk pie, however.

Last edited:

Zz.

"It has been heard", "people are saying", "the word going around is", On those dates a cataclysmic moon size pie in the sky will appear.

Note that I included three sources used frequently on Fox news so it must be true.:devil:

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
"It has been heard", "people are saying", "the word going around is", On those dates a cataclysmic moon size pie in the sky will appear.

Note that I included three sources used frequently on Fox news so it must be true.:devil:

Then that is what we should use to spread the news about the calamity that will fall on us next year on pi day! As simple as that! We start with something that says that there's impending forecast that day where it will be overcast, with a chance of pi in the sky.

Zz.

jtbell
Mentor
There's a pizza place that recently opened for business nearby called "Pieology." With such a cool name you would think that they would throw a [itex] \pi [/itex] into their logo, or at least have a pizza volume diagram* in the restaurant somewhere. But alas, no; they don't seem to acknowledge [itex] \pi [/itex] at all. :cry:

There's a chain of pizzerias in the St. Louis area that has pi in their name and logo, at least:

Pi Pizzeria

I'll have to try to remember to check it out if I ever I drive through that area again.

berkeman
Mentor
We have some clever young engineers here at work. Our project group received this e-mail just before 2PM from three of them:

3.14 1:59. Pie & Ice cream in the Pantry by the printer. Enjoy.

:biggrin: