Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marcus has passed on

1. May 7, 2016 #41

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Sad to hear, the BSM forum really seem to lose its major contributor. (with regards to posts).

2. May 7, 2016 #42

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

@tamwuff Our PF loss here is certainly not as profound as the loss that you and your family feel. So please accept my condolences.

Marcus certainly was the one who single-handedly ran the BTSM forum for as long as I can remember. There was no doubt that it was his baby.

Zz.

3. May 7, 2016 #43

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I'm very sorry to hear this. Marcus has been a constant presence here, as far back as I can remember. Of course, it has been a longer presence for his family, who have the greater loss. My condolences to them.

4. May 7, 2016 #44

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My condolences to you, tamwuff, and to the all of marcus' family. Marcus and I never met in person, but I certainly consider Marcus to be a friend. Marcus and I had many, many interesting discussions about cosmology that were very enlightening for me. He has an enduring invaluable legacy here at Physics Forums; I am sure that years from now, I will search Physics Forums for some particular topic in cosmology, and I will find the information that I seek in posts by marcus.

5. May 7, 2016 #45

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My condolences to you and your family, @tamwuff, I'm so sorry to hear this. Marcus had an enormous presence here at PF, and taught me a lot about cosmology when I was much younger and just starting out in my career. He had a vast knowledge of many different areas, and his keen interest in following the quantum gravity literature -- and understanding it -- was inspiring. Marcus will be sorely missed, and leaves a legacy here at PF.

6. May 7, 2016 #46
    This is very upsetting. I really never got to know him that well on here, but he has posted on my threads and was exteremely helpful. I know he will be missed by all of us.

7. May 7, 2016 #47

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

tamwuff, thank you for the notification. We are greatly saddened by the passing of marcus. It is hard to comprehend at the moment. I had a number of pleasant exchanges with marcus, mostly on ancient history and culture, as well as a few on astrophysics and cosmology.

marcus certainly established a high standard at PF. Now he is among the stars with other giants of PF, selfAdjoint, whom he mentioned in the thread cited by Greg B, and arildno, with whom he shared an interest in old literature and history. Peace upon him and your family and friends whom have lost such a wonderful person. He is forever in our hearts and minds.

Another thread started by marcus with contributions by selfAdjoint.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/perche-i-nostri-discorsi-galileo-quoted-by-rovelli.6963/

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  8. May 7, 2016 #48
    I'm very saddened by this news. marcus was one of a kind. He was a great educator with a brilliant writing style and immense knowledge, he explained complex ideas with a lot of patience, and he never made anyone feel bad for taking time to understand what's being said.

My sincere condolences.

9. May 7, 2016 #49

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I am very saddened by this loss. I can't imagine how the family must feel. My feelings regarding the loss of this exceptional man are probably less than 1% of what the family has to go through, and I am already devastated.

I am very glad that marcus found in this forum a safe haven. A place to discuss his interests with peers. We will surely miss him a lot.

I just wish he could have read all these messages before he passed away. I hope he knew how loved he was.

10. May 7, 2016 #50
    I'm sorry to hear this. I don't go much into the more academic forums anymore but I've seen enough of his posts to know that he was one of the best that PF has to offer, and that's saying something.

11. May 7, 2016 #51

mfb

2016 Award

My condolences to his family.
    That is a good summary.

12. May 7, 2016 #52

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

13. May 7, 2016 #53

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I never had the chance to interact with @marcus since I have no background of many of his areas of expertise. But seeing his profile, content and feelings of members in this thread, I can see he had a vast scientific knowledge:bow:. He was surely one of the best science advisors here on PF! I now wish I had a little knowledge of any of those topics and I could interact with him. It would have been a great experience! My condolences to his family! Rest in peace marcus!

14. May 7, 2016 #54

naima

Gold Member

Condoléances de France.

15. May 7, 2016 #55

Borek

R.I.P. marcus.

You are the legend.

16. May 7, 2016 #56

Haelfix

Science Advisor

I'm very sad to hear this. My condolences to his family. He had a deep, childlike enthusiasm for our subject that I think everyone could learn from.

17. May 7, 2016 #57
    My condolences. I interacted with him a couple of times. He was a frequent poster in the Cosmology and Beyond the Standard Model forum, and he was always friendly and very interested in many things. I am sad by the news :frown:.

18. May 7, 2016 #58

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have since long known that if I decided to cling actively on a forum like PF comprising people of all ages, on a certain day I will get notified about the resignation of a certain member. Just, I never have thought that this time's notification of leave, that came less than two years since I joined in PF, is about an unwakeable rest.
    For a theory that bears the potential of revolutionizing physics, Marcus's retirement is a big loss.
    Deep condolences for the deceased's family and relatives.

19. May 8, 2016 #59

Jorrie

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Condolences to you and family.
    We know that he will be severely missed your family, but also on this and quite a few other science forums.
    Without your dad's inspiration and support, the community-development of the LightCone cosmological calculator would probably not have happened.

20. May 8, 2016 #60

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'd like to add my condolences as well. This is very sad news.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted