Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marcus has passed on

1. May 10, 2016 #81
    @marcus now has a memorial badge

2. May 10, 2016 #82
    My condolences to the family.

Marcus had a positively contagious enthusiasm for science, as well as being highly inclusive and patient.

As a layman I really enjoyed following his posts, especially in the Beyond the Standard Model, Astrophysics and Cosmology forums.

His contributions will be greatly missed.

3. May 10, 2016 #83

ohwilleke

Gold Member

Thanks for letting us know. We will miss him dearly, as I am sure you will a hundred times more.

4. May 10, 2016 #84
    i will miss him. hopefully atty can continue his work on the bibliography

5. May 11, 2016 #85
    @marcus you are no more but your 24,546 posts will continue to help students. You will get blessings from students all over the world . You have done soul satisfying work. May you rest in peace. God bless you.

6. May 11, 2016 #86
    I just logged in after a long time and read this. How sad, and a big loss to PF. My condolences to his family and all PF members.

7. May 11, 2016 #87
    I don't know Marcus as I am a new member but RIP that's all I can say

8. May 12, 2016 #88
    ... My curiosity with QG started with him. Sad. A true educator.

9. May 12, 2016 #89
    cancer is a horrible thing

10. May 13, 2016 #90
    RIP...its everyone's journey, time is the only variable, we are all heading there, we celebrate his life, rip Marcus

11. May 13, 2016 #91
    I know firsthand some admirable qualities Marcus exhibited on this forum. Perhaps if the members wanted, we could offer an award yearly to someone that exemplified them.

12. May 13, 2016 #92

chasrob

Gold Member

R.I.P.
    "His good deeds go before him"

13. May 17, 2016 #93

julian

Gold Member

I think something we have failed to acknowledge is the courage and bravery that Marcus showed by continuing to learn AND teach several months after what must have been devastating news that his cancer was in such an advanced stage.

I think a lot of us know a friend or family member (myself included) with cancer, and how helpless you can sometimes feel. Also how much treatments such as chemo knocks a person about.

I was trying to think of a way that Marcus could be remembered (aside from his numerous valuable posts) in order to inspire future members of PF, and I think jackmell's idea great. Maybe at some point in many months to come this idea could be realized, but could I suggest that the award be put to a vote and that you can only vote if you make £1 donation to a cancer research charity.

14. May 18, 2016 #94

Nugso

Gold Member

I've not been posting too much on the forums lately, because of the thesis I'm working on, but I always talked to him on PM, and he always helped and answered me with kindness.

I thanked him personally back then, and I'd like to thank him now for everything he has done for me, and for all of us. RIP.

15. May 28, 2016 #95
    May he rest in peace!

He liked this song very much:

16. Jun 11, 2016 #96
    RIP Marcus

He was certainly one of PF's greatest contributors, he had a unique talent to make dumb people like me understand what he was talking about , although my interaction with him was extremely limited in the topics of GR, QM/QG etc (since its not my area) , I was lucky enough to interact with him on the topics of manned mission to mars and probes to Ceres and Pluto.

His posts and replies gave me a warm feeling everytime and made me feel at home in PF.

17. Jun 21, 2016 #97

Tsu

Gold Member

18. Jul 26, 2016 #98
    Very sad to hear Marcus has passed on.
    He seemed like a good & decent man, helping others to understand great things, even those
    like me who are mathematically challenged.

Would love to see what he looked like & see his bio if possible.

Sincere condolences to his family and all his many friends. I wish I had known him personally.

19. Jul 27, 2016 #99
    Yes he had answered me, too several times about cosmology.

20. Sep 16, 2016 #100

MTd2

Gold Member

My condolences to you and your family.

I haven't visited PF for a while. So, one of these days, I was back to see his thread "Loop-and-allied QG bibliography" and I missed his presence. I found it really, really odd that he hadn't opened a new thread about this paper: "Conformal loop quantum gravity coupled to the Standard Model", by one of his favorite authors Rodolfo Gambini and Jorge Pullin. That would nr something that would keep him posting a post after post for all day quoting the paper and making with bold his favorite parts. So, I looked for his latest post, and it was from May 6th. Then, I found this thread.

I am devastated. I am crying here... Why?!? I know, there is no why. I always thought of visiting him one day. I wanted to know him, but he kept his privacy. I'd like to know his ideas in a much more deeper and personal level. This is because he always my mind busy during very depressing times since he always kept sight of interesting things. It seems life is not only merely short. moreover, it is further shortened because we don't happen to live nearby, to live during similar times, or to communicate as much as we wanted.

He was always a personal star to me. I hope he can somehow forever shine to many people.

Rest in Peace, Marcus, my friend.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted