Mardi Gras Weekend 2005: Ready to Part-ay!

• Thread starter franznietzsche
  • Start date
In summary: Its not like they're doing anything new or innovative there.Mardi Gras, isn't that an ultra-gay affair?That's the impression here in Norway.Have fun, though.
franznietzsche
Well, its Mardi Gras weekend 2005, saturday night, I'm off to part-ake in the part-ay. See you all in the morning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mardi Gras, isn't that an ultra-gay affair?
That's the impression here in Norway.
Have fun, though.

franznietzsche said:
Well, its Mardi Gras weekend 2005, saturday night, I'm off to part-ake in the part-ay. See you all in the morning.

Yeah, right. We'll only see you in the morning if we run into you coming home while we're heading out for the day! :rofl: Have fun! Don't forget the beads!

arildno said:
Have fun, though.
American boys can't get laid, so they invented a special holiday when the girls all get really drunk and take off their clothes for 20 cent bead necklaces.

Smurf said:
American boys can't get laid, so they invented a special holiday when the girls all get really drunk and take off their clothes for 20 cent bead necklaces.
Sounds like a wholesome way of spending a week-end :approve:

Smurf said:

That sounds amazing! Here is me, spending most of my waking hours slagging off the Americans, and you get to do that? I'm emigrating!

Smurf said:

Funny, its not an american holiday. Its a european holiday, famed for huge celebrations in the most european part of the US (ar at least, the most french), New Orleans. But the holiday derives from the season of carnival, from the twelfth day after christmas through to ash wedenesday, first day of lent. The idea is to get out all the debauchery and depravity before let, when one would traditionally abstain. Yup, mardi gras, is a religious holiday.

So it seems, its those europeans that can't get laid.

And yeah it was a great night. And of course, I'm long accustomed to not sleeping, so that was no problem. Though, parts are bit fuzzy, let's just say my memory of the whole affair is not as good as i would like particularly with regards to the amount of alcohol i had, among other things...

Happy Mardi Gras!

arildno said:
Have fun, though.

Ummm...ok then, you have that impression, while we have have crazy parties of great debauchery and depravity. Its was crazy out there.

Hey franz, are you going to IV? It is right down the road from SLO! I know about the halloween celebration, I lived on Del Playa for a bit!

polyb said:
Hey franz, are you going to IV? It is right down the road from SLO! I know about the halloween celebration, I lived on Del Playa for a bit!

Nah, mardi gras is all about here. Halloween there, Mardi Gras here. Prolly head down for halloween there next year though.

franznietzsche said:
Nah, mardi gras is all about here. Halloween there, Mardi Gras here. Prolly head down for halloween there next year though.

IV halloween is a riot! I never saw anything like that and I was right in the middle of it! 3 days and nights of nothing but insane college kids blowing off steam! Dont lose too many brain cells when you go!:biggrin:

If you ever get to the east coast goto New Orleans, now they know how to have Mardi Gras! :tongue2:

polyb said:
IV halloween is a riot! I never saw anything like that and I was right in the middle of it! 3 days and nights of nothing but insane college kids blowing off steam! Dont lose too many brain cells when you go!:biggrin:

I've heard stories, but didn't go this year. Thinking about next year though. I almost went to UCSB, it was between there and here for me.

polyb said:
If you ever get to the east coast goto New Orleans, now they know how to have Mardi Gras! :tongue2:

If i needed to be told that, then i shouldn't be in college.

What is Mardi Gras Weekend 2005?

Mardi Gras Weekend 2005 was a celebration held in February 2005 in New Orleans, Louisiana. It included parades, parties, and other festivities to mark the traditional Christian holiday of Mardi Gras, also known as Fat Tuesday.

When was Mardi Gras Weekend 2005?

Mardi Gras Weekend 2005 was held from February 5th to February 8th, 2005.

What events took place during Mardi Gras Weekend 2005?

During Mardi Gras Weekend 2005, there were over 50 parades, as well as numerous parties, concerts, and other events. The main event was the traditional Mardi Gras parade on Fat Tuesday, where colorful floats and performers traveled through the streets of New Orleans.

What is the significance of Mardi Gras in New Orleans?

Mardi Gras has been celebrated in New Orleans since the early 18th century and has become an integral part of the city's culture and identity. It is a time for excessive celebration before the more somber Christian holiday of Lent begins.

Were there any special precautions taken for Mardi Gras Weekend 2005?

Yes, due to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the city of New Orleans took extra precautions to ensure the safety of attendees during Mardi Gras Weekend. This included increased police presence and stricter regulations for parade floats and costumes.