1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marginal product

1. Nov 27, 2013 #1
    Consider the function APL=[itex]\frac{\sqrt[4]{L}}{L}[/itex], where L is the number of workers. The company has just hired 8 workers. What is the marginal product of the labor?

I know that if I had the total product I could differentiate it and get the marginal product, but it's the average product that is given.

APL=[itex]\frac{\sqrt[4]{8}}{8}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1,68}{8}[/itex]=0,21

How do I get to MP from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please do not use undefined abbreviations. What is AP? What is MP? I might be able toe guess, but I should not have to!

4. Nov 28, 2013 #3
    Im sorry, I thought I made it clear here. Average product of labor and marginal product of labor.

5. Nov 28, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, so what is the actual definition of average product of labor in terms of the marginal product function f(L)? Understanding that relationship is step 1 in the solution procedure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted