Find Out Marginal Profit on 30 Dozen Donuts

• Thread starter bacon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marginal
In summary, the problem is asking for the revenue and profit on a certain number of dozen donuts, as well as the average and marginal profits on a given quantity. The question of the reasonableness of the answer arises, as the marginal profit seems to exceed the selling price of 75 cents per dozen. This could be due to the cost function being unrealistic, but it is possible that the total cost actually decreases when selling more units. The definition of average profit in this context may be different from the average rate of change of profit.
bacon
This question is not homework(I'm not even in school). Also, I know how to get the answers but have a question regarding the reasonableness of an answer. This is taken from a calculus book in the chapter introducing the derivative.
Problem: It costs [tex]C(x)=50+\frac{1}{4}x-\frac{1}{30}x^{2}[/tex] dollars to make x dozen donuts in one day [tex]({0}\leq{x}\leq{40})[/tex] and the donuts sell for 75 cents a dozen. a) What are the Revenue R(x) (gross income) and profit P(x) on x dozen donuts? b) What are the average and marginal profits on 30 dozen donuts?
answers a) [tex]R(x)=.75x dollars ; P(x)=\frac{1}{2}x + \frac{1}{30}x^{2}-50dollars[/tex] b)[tex]Averageprofit=-\frac{1}{6}dollar/dozen; Marginal profit=\frac{5}{2}dollars/dozen.[/tex]
My question deals with the marginal profit in part b. It seems that 75 cents per dozen would have to be an upper limit on profit and the $2.50 would not be possible. If one assumes that there are no costs to producing donuts and all the revenue is going into profit, one could not make more than 75 cents/dozen.
Is it that the cost function is completely unrealistic and just created so one can learn the mechanics of taking derivatives?
Thanks for any comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get those values for average profit and marginal profit? For instance marginal profit should be a function of x, since we're just differentiating the profit function with respect to x, which is the quantity in terms of dozens donuts. Average profits should just be P(x)/x, provided that x is not zero.

I got them from the answer key in the back of the book. However, when I do the problem over, I end up with a question regarding the answer for average profit. Perhaps this is your question as well.
Marginal profit:
[tex]P'(x)=\frac{1}{15}x+\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]P'(30)=\frac{5}{2}[/tex]

Average profit:
[tex]\frac{P(x)-P(x_{0})}{x-x_{0}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{P(30)-P(0)}{30-0}[/tex][tex]=\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

which is not the answer from the book.
It seems that to get its answer one must use 0 instead of P(0)
On one level that might seem reasonable, if one sells 0 donuts, one gets 0 profit, but on another level there is a cost at 0 donuts and the profit may be negative which of course would affect the average.

Moderator's note:
Thread moved to Homework area. Homework assignments or any textbook style exercises are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area. This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study.

Where did you get your definition of average profit?

Average profit = Total Profit/Quantity

My book defines the average rate of change of a function f(x) as

[tex]\frac{f(x)-f(x_{0})}{x-x_{0}}[/tex]

[tex]x\neq{x_{0}}[/tex]
I used this and replaced P(x) for f(x).

bacon said:

[tex]x\neq{x_{0}}[/tex]
Does the question ask for the average profit, or average rate of change of profit?

The average of a function is defined in terms of an integral; average rate of change is as you posted above.

bacon said:

[tex]x\neq{x_{0}}[/tex]

So that definition would give the 'average rate of change of P(x)' i.e.

change in profit/change in quantity

For average profit which is the same as any average (arithmetic mean) i.e.

total/quantity

Last edited:
Redbelly98: The question asks for "average...profit...". My original post quotes the problem verbatim.
Ellotician: I see your point. Perhaps I was looking for average rate of change instead of average.
Thanks to both of you for your responses.

Would it make sense that "average profit" is the net profit per dozen, i.e. just P(x)/x as snipez said earlier?
bacon said:
answers a) [tex]R(x)=.75x dollars ; P(x)=\frac{1}{2}x + \frac{1}{30}x^{2}-50dollars[/tex] b)[tex]Averageprofit=-\frac{1}{6}dollar/dozen; Marginal profit=\frac{5}{2}dollars/dozen.[/tex]
My question deals with the marginal profit in part b. It seems that 75 cents per dozen would have to be an upper limit on profit and the $2.50 would not be possible. If one assumes that there are no costs to producing donuts and all the revenue is going into profit, one could not make more than 75 cents/dozen.
Is it that the cost function is completely unrealistic and just created so one can learn the mechanics of taking derivatives?
Thanks for any comments.
I am understanding this question better now. The $2.50 is the additional total "profit" you would make by selling one more unit (1 unit = 1 dozen here). If you are losing money, it just means you would lose $2.50 less.
The fact that $2.50 is greater than the $0.75 sale price means that the total cost actually drops when you go from 29 to 30, or from 30 to 31, units. I'm not sure how reasonable that is, but I guess it could happen in theory. In this example, the total cost starts dropping once you get above 4 units.

What is "marginal profit"?

Marginal profit is the additional profit gained by producing and selling one additional unit of a product. In other words, it is the change in total profit when the quantity produced and sold increases by one unit.

How is marginal profit different from total profit?

Total profit is the overall profit earned from producing and selling a certain quantity of a product. It takes into account all costs and revenue. Marginal profit, on the other hand, only considers the change in profit from producing and selling one additional unit.

Why is it important to calculate marginal profit?

Calculating marginal profit helps businesses make informed decisions about their production and pricing strategies. By understanding how much profit is gained from producing and selling one additional unit, businesses can make adjustments to maximize their profits.

How do you calculate marginal profit?

To calculate marginal profit, you need to know the change in total profit and the change in quantity produced and sold. The formula for marginal profit is: Marginal Profit = Change in Total Profit / Change in Quantity.

How can you apply marginal profit to 30 dozen donuts?

To apply marginal profit to 30 dozen donuts, you would need to know the change in total profit and the change in quantity produced and sold for this specific quantity. Using the formula mentioned in the previous answer, you can calculate the marginal profit for 30 dozen donuts and use this information to make decisions about production and pricing.