Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marilyn Monroe

1. Jul 10, 2016 #1
    long I wanted to ask someone from the Americans. What was Marilyn Monroe for America? She was beautiful but not the most beautiful one among the American actresses. She also was not most talented. So why did the whole nation go mad from her? How she became one of the symbols of USA?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2016 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was before my time. My understanding is that she was a so-so actress who was beautiful, became a sex symbol, and did the very first Playboy centerfold. She was also known to have a close association with President Kennedy. She died young due to an over dose, which helped to immortalize her.

Apparently she captured the hearts of many young men. The Playboy photo probably cemented that legend. An old friend of mine had that centerfold on his garage wall 25 years later.

4. Jul 10, 2016 #3
    I think her appeal was obvious: she exuded sexuality without seeming to be aware she was exuding it. The characters she played seemed to have no idea of the powerful effect they were having on the men in the scene. She strongly and simultaneously appealed to two male drives: to seduce and yet also to protect from harm. The fact those two things are nearly mutually exclusive, just made the hook dig in all that deeper. She put men in a position where they simultaneously wanted to be her angel and her devil.

5. Jul 10, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Very well said.

6. Jul 10, 2016 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She will never be forgotten. :oldcool:

7. Jul 10, 2016 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How did she convey or exude this and where did you get this? I don't think anyone was thinking of their mother.

8. Jul 10, 2016 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think if that's something you don't get emotionally, no explanation is ever going to really get you there.

9. Jul 10, 2016 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

maybe you could ask yourself why you are asking this question. obviously she interests you in some way. that might answer your question.

10. Jul 10, 2016 #9
    I remember her death being in the news. But I was young and don't remember much else.
    That is true, but I remember watching one of her movies many decades ago, I think it was "The Misfits", where I was a little surprised at the quality of her acting. That was one of her later movies though, maybe her last one, I'm not sure.

11. Jul 11, 2016 #10
    You're having some kind of reading comprehension issue, Ivan. Here's the whole sentence again:
    I'm saying Marilyn caused men to want to simultaneously, 1.) seduce her, but also, 2.) protect her from harm. I am not saying she wanted to protect them from harm, as you seem to think I said.

12. Jul 11, 2016 #11
    She interests me as a cultural phenomenon, Dr. Freud.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted