MarioKart Wii WFC Probability?

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the game MarioKart Wii and how players can choose a racetrack to race on. The question arises of what the probability is for a specific track to be chosen if all players' choices are unknown. The conversation then goes on to discuss how the computer selects a track and the assumption of a uniform distribution if the computer chooses at random.
moonman239
So I was playing MarioKart Wii on the Internet yesterday. In case you're not familiar with the game, it's a game where you select a Nintendo character (such as Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Bowser) and a car and can race against other characters (or other people). Each player involved in an Internet game can either vote for a racetrack or choose a random track. After all players make their choice, the game proceeds to randomly select a course that has been voted for (or a random course). Which poses an interesting question: if all player's choices are unknown, what is the probability that a particular course will be voted for by the player, and will be chosen by the game?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume there are k tracks, giving a total of k+1 choices (player may choose random). Assume the computer selects one of the tracks, or random, with probability according to the number of votes/total for each, call the number of votes for track i v_i, i =1,..,k, number of votes for random v_r, and total number of votes v_t. Further assume that if the computer selects random, then each track has equal probability of being selected.

Then we have
P(selected track = track i) = v_i/v_t + (1/k)v_r/v_t

"if all player's choices are unknown" ->
Does that mean we should assume a uniform distribution?

1. What is the WFC Probability in MarioKart Wii?

The WFC (Wi-Fi Connection) Probability in MarioKart Wii refers to the likelihood of successfully connecting to other players online and participating in races or battles.

2. How is the WFC Probability calculated?

The WFC Probability is calculated based on a number of factors, such as the strength of your internet connection, the number of players currently online, and the stability of the game's servers.

3. Why does the WFC Probability sometimes show as "unavailable"?

This may occur when there are issues with the game's servers or if there are not enough players currently online to establish a stable connection.

4. Can the WFC Probability be improved?

Yes, there are a few ways to potentially improve the WFC Probability, such as ensuring a strong and stable internet connection, playing during peak hours when more players are online, and keeping the game and console software up to date.

5. Is the WFC Probability the same for all players?

The WFC Probability can vary for each player based on their individual circumstances, such as their location, internet speed, and other external factors. However, it is generally consistent for players within the same region.