Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MarioKart Wii WFC Probability?

1. Aug 3, 2010 #1
    So I was playing MarioKart Wii on the Internet yesterday. In case you're not familiar with the game, it's a game where you select a Nintendo character (such as Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Bowser) and a car and can race against other characters (or other people). Each player involved in an Internet game can either vote for a racetrack or choose a random track. After all players make their choice, the game proceeds to randomly select a course that has been voted for (or a random course). Which poses an interesting question: if all player's choices are unknown, what is the probability that a particular course will be voted for by the player, and will be chosen by the game?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2
    Assume there are k tracks, giving a total of k+1 choices (player may choose random). Assume the computer selects one of the tracks, or random, with probability according to the number of votes/total for each, call the number of votes for track i v_i, i =1,..,k, number of votes for random v_r, and total number of votes v_t. Further assume that if the computer selects random, then each track has equal probability of being selected.

Then we have
    P(selected track = track i) = v_i/v_t + (1/k)v_r/v_t

4. Aug 6, 2010 #3
    "if all player's choices are unknown" ->
    Does that mean we should assume a uniform distribution?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook