Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constants - HELP

• Thread starter altered-gravity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constants
In summary, the Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constants are numerical values that describe the relationship between a polymer's molecular weight and its intrinsic viscosity. They are important in comparing different polymers and predicting their behavior in various conditions. These constants are determined experimentally and can be affected by factors such as temperature and solvent type. They are commonly used in polymer science for characterization, comparison, and optimization purposes.
altered-gravity
Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constants - HELP!

Hi!

My local libraryes are closed theese days and I need the Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constants ("K" and "a") of poly(methyl metacrylate) in 1,2-dichloroethane urgently! :uhh:

Does anybody know if i can find them online? where? Or does anybody have a polymer handbook? it would be extremely helpfull for me! THanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ok, solved!

!

Hi there! I understand your urgency in needing the Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constants for poly(methyl methacrylate) in 1,2-dichloroethane. The Mark-Houwink-Sakurada equation is commonly used in the field of polymer science to determine the molecular weight of a polymer. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide you with the specific constants for this polymer in that solvent as they can vary depending on the source and method used to determine them.

However, there are a few options for finding this information. One option is to try searching for the constants in a polymer handbook or reference book. You may be able to find a digital version of a handbook through your university or local library's online resources. Another option is to reach out to a polymer scientist or professor who may have access to this information or be able to point you in the right direction. Finally, you could also try contacting the manufacturer of the polymer for the constants.

I hope this helps and good luck in your search!

What are Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constants?

The Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constants (also known as the MH constants) are numerical values that describe the relationship between a polymer's molecular weight and its intrinsic viscosity. They are used to characterize a polymer's size and shape.

Why are Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constants important?

Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constants are important because they provide a way to compare different polymers based on their molecular weight and intrinsic viscosity. This helps scientists understand how the polymer will behave in different conditions and environments.

How are Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constants determined?

The constants are determined experimentally by measuring the intrinsic viscosity of a polymer at different molecular weights, and then plotting the data on a log-log scale. The slope of the resulting curve is the Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constant.

What factors can affect Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constants?

The constants can be affected by several factors, including temperature, solvent type, and polymer conformation. It is important to control for these variables when measuring and comparing the constants.

How are Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constants used in polymer science?

Mark-Houwink-Sakurada constants are used in polymer science to characterize and compare different polymers, as well as to predict their behavior in various applications. They are also used in the development and optimization of polymer processing techniques.