Mark Solomon with gay marriage

• News
  • Thread starter trueo
  • Start date
In summary, Maine and Maryland have become the seventh and eighth states, along with the District of Columbia, to legalize gay marriage after successful ballot initiatives. This marks a significant victory for gay rights advocates, especially since it is the first time gay marriage has been approved by popular vote. The increasing support for gay marriage is a sign of progress and a shift towards acceptance and equal rights for the LGBTQ+ community. This vote is also seen as a rejection of the anti-gay stance of former presidential candidate Mitt Romney and a step towards a more inclusive and tolerant society.
trueo
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...d-popular-vote-maine-062623169--election.html

..."It's hard to overstate the national significance of this vote," Mark Solomon, the national campaign director of Freedom to Marry, which supports gay marriage, said in a statement about the Maine initiative. "For years, our opponents have argued that we could not win a majority vote at the ballot. Today, Maine voters proved them wrong, standing up for the Golden Rule and for freedom for all Mainers."

Maine and Maryland join six other states—Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Iowa, Vermont, New York and Connecticut—and the District of Columbia to allow gay marriage.

Tuesday's election was the first time gay marriage was on the ballot since President Barack Obama became the first sitting president to declare his support for it in May. It also marked another milestone for gay rights advocates: Wisconsin Democrat Rep. Tammy Baldwin became the first openly gay candidate elected to the U.S. Senate...

I doubt the more American men are becoming gay... How could the vote numbers go up so quickly ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because more non-gay people are realizing that gay people should have equal rights?

Ben Niehoff said:
Because more non-gay people are realizing that gay people should have equal rights?

Oh what a neat and smart protective reply! :biggrin:

I think with the majority of American's supporting gay marriage, that's one reason Romney wasn't elected; he's against it.
That mentality is not the future, and I'm proud of America for not letting someone like that into office.

More people aren't gay, but I think more people admit to being gay, since more people are accepting of it. We're heading in the right direction.

I think more people are admitting it. Also, more people realize that by not recognizing a gay couple as being married does not prevent them from being gay. Hard to believe it has taken this long. I have a first cousin who is gay and his parents have had a really hard time with it. I cannot say I have ever had a chance to tell them this but my feeling is that he cannot be straight any easier than I or any other straight person can be gay. It still gross's me out out to see two guys kiss, but it grossed me out to see my parents kiss when I was a little kid too. LOL

trueo said:
Ben Niehoff said:
trueo said:
I doubt the more American men are becoming gay... How could the vote numbers go up so quickly ?
Oh what a neat and smart protective reply! :biggrin:
How about this perhaps. Maybe more Americans are realizing that it's not cool to be a bigoted jackass.

Last edited:
Ben Niehoff said:
and are not a threat.

collinsmark said:
How about this perhaps. Maybe more Americans are realizing that it's not cool to be a bigoted jackass.
More or less. The majority, and particularly, the younger generations are voting with their consciences, they can see through the hypocrisy/bs, and they are not afraid to what is right.

What is the scientific evidence on the effects of gay marriage?

Studies have shown that there are no negative effects on children raised by same-sex couples compared to those raised by heterosexual couples. Additionally, countries that have legalized gay marriage have seen a decrease in rates of depression and suicide among the LGBTQ+ community.

Is homosexuality a choice?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that sexual orientation is a choice. Many studies have shown that sexual orientation is determined by a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental factors.

Does legalizing gay marriage lead to the breakdown of traditional marriage?

There is no evidence to suggest that legalizing gay marriage has any effect on the stability of traditional marriages. In fact, studies have shown that countries that have legalized gay marriage have seen a decrease in divorce rates among heterosexual couples.

Is there a link between homosexuality and pedophilia?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support any link between homosexuality and pedophilia. Pedophilia is a psychiatric disorder, and being attracted to same-sex adults does not make someone more likely to be attracted to children.

What are the potential benefits of legalizing gay marriage?

Legalizing gay marriage can lead to increased social acceptance and equality for the LGBTQ+ community. It also allows same-sex couples the same legal rights and protections as heterosexual couples, such as the ability to make medical decisions for their spouse and to file joint tax returns.