Calculating Time from 4:1 Mark-Space Ratio @ 10KHz

In summary, to find the time with a ratio of 4:1 and a frequency of 10kHz, you can use the formula T = 1 / f, where f is the frequency. This gives a period of 100µs. To find the mark time, you can multiply the period by the ratio of 4/5, which gives 80µs. The space time would be 20µs. However, the meaning of the ratio is not clear and could refer to different percentages.
nathan27th
Hi if I had the ratio of 4:1 and the frequency of 10Khz how would I go about finding the time?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nathan27th said:
Hi if I had the ratio of 4:1 and the frequency of 10Khz how would I go about finding the time?
Who which what?

Likes Averagesupernova
Perhaps you could cut back on other activities? It's always hard to find time, but if something is important most people manage. o_O

Another term for the mark space ratio is duty cycle.

At 10kHz, the entire wave is 100µs and the active part (usually the high part) is 4/5th of that, so 80µs.

To get this I divided 1 cycle by 10,000 cycles per second and got 1/10,000 (100µs) of a second. Since the mark space ratio divides the cycle into parts, I divided the active parts of the ratio (4) by all the parts of the ratio (4+1=5) and got 0.8. I then multiplied 100µs times 0.8 and got 80µs.

I wasn't really clear what you are asking, but this might answer your question.

nathan27th said:
Frequency = 10 kHz. Therefore period, T = 1 / 10k = 100 usec.

Ratio 4:1 could mean ( 4 marks + 1 space ) = 20%
That would give mark time = 4/5 * 100 usec = 80 usec and the space time = 20 usec.

The “ratio of 4:1” is a bit confusable. It might mean 20%, 25%, 75% or 80%.
A “ratio” suggests a simple division, not a relative proportion such as 4:1 = 4 / (4 + 1 ).

1. How do you calculate time from a 4:1 mark-space ratio at 10KHz?

To calculate time from a 4:1 mark-space ratio at 10KHz, you can use the formula: Time = (1/10,000) x (4+1) = 0.0005 seconds. This means that for every cycle of the waveform at 10KHz, it will take 0.0005 seconds to complete one full mark-space cycle.

2. What is a mark-space ratio?

A mark-space ratio is the ratio of time between the mark (high) and space (low) states of a digital signal. In a 4:1 mark-space ratio, the mark state is 4 times longer than the space state.

3. What is the significance of 10KHz in this calculation?

10KHz refers to the frequency of the digital signal, which is the number of cycles per second. In this calculation, it is used to determine the time it takes for one full cycle of the waveform at that frequency.

4. Can this calculation be applied to other frequencies and mark-space ratios?

Yes, this calculation can be applied to any frequency and mark-space ratio. You just need to plug in the appropriate values into the formula: Time = (1/frequency) x (mark+space).

5. How is this calculation useful in scientific research?

This calculation is useful in various scientific fields, such as signal processing and data communication. It helps in understanding and analyzing digital signals, which are used in many modern technologies. It also allows for precise measurement of time intervals, which is crucial in experiments and data collection.