Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mark your calendars

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    Tomorrow, Sarah Palin will get destroyed by Joe Biden.

Watch the McCain-Palin poles drop faster than the stock market after tomorrow.

Is it me or are you cuter every time you don't know what to say?

Pew pew pew pew...........ding!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Problem is, her expectations are so, so incredibly low that she may do better than expected (she's expected to bomb, after all). And that's all the media will focus on.

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3

Art

IMO Sarah Palin will adopt the same tactic Margaret Thatcher used to great effect. Whereby you learn a few sentences off by heart and no matter what the question is, you recite your lines.

I remember as an example Thatcher being asked one time by a journalist about an issue related to health. Thatcher responded along the lines of, "I'm glad you asked me that, the problem with the education system today is blah blah blah." The reporter tried a second time and got the exact same response. A third attempt was met with a sharp rebuke from Thatcher "I've already answered that question, now move on."

Done in the right tone this type of stonewalling can be perceived as showing strong character traits and people quickly forget that the original question was never answered.

Certainly it never did Thatcher any harm and although Palin is no Thatcher, from what I have read she has a similar approach, whereby she speaks in sweeping generalities and then veers off onto some folksy story of life in Alaska, but as she never directly addresses the issue, she also says nothing that people can point at as definitively wrong whereas if Biden throws out 100 facts and one of them is wrong that is all you are going to hear about.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Oct 1, 2008 #4
    Don't worry, if she can't do well on catie couric, there's no way in hell she's going to hold up against a seasoned pro like Biden.

He's going to make a complete fool out of her, or more accurately, she'll make a fool out of herself. He's a lawyer by trade, well spoken and articulate.

I just *hope* he makes her seem stupid on her own doing, and not like he's beating her up and coming off as a bad guy and her as a 'poor woman'.

This isnt a matter of what people are expecting of her. I'll bet you $20.00 she BOMBS. There is no question in my mind -at all - she's going to crash and burn.

There's no way shes going to get an education on the economy AND foreign policy in the limited time she had to prepare. It's like cramming all night before an exam, it's going to show. Her answers are going to come off as reading lines someone told her.

It's like seeing a plane crash in slow motion. You know its going to happen, but you cant look away. You're like here it comes..............................WOOOSH. Let's watch that again in even slower motion!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  6. Oct 1, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I think that would be a dangerous expectation.

While I agree that the tactics that went over well in Alaska will not translate that well nationally, I expect that she will do better at least with her base than you are thinking now.

The intangibles of the debate, body message, gentility, humor, personality register with the public at large. Hopefully Biden can restrain himself and not fall into a gaffe trap. Letting Palin prattle on is likely the best strategy, and then stepping in should she hang herself with awkwardness or inappropriateness and make note of it then move on and not dwell on her mistakes. The spin doctors afterward will rip her the new one if she really screws up. Above the fray is the best place for Biden.

7. Oct 1, 2008 #6
    Here's the sad part. I'm watching the VP debates JUST to see Palin look stupid.

I think most americans are too. Which defeats the point of watching it to hear *what* they have to say. I really dont care what she has to say because I know its all staged, and she's a mouthpiece 'yeswoman' for McCain.

8. Oct 1, 2008 #7
    This might help explain why many people will vote for her anyway.

"What it's like to debate Sarah Palin"
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20081001/cm_csm/yseaquist;_ylt=AsoeAlktnb2Ti3OSC52a.Iis0NUE

9. Oct 1, 2008 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It seems if she holds to what she's known for, it will be a lot of fluff and double speak.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080929/ap_on_el_pr/the_veep_debaters

I'm sorry, but all I see when she speaks is someone spouting off rehearsed lines and cliches, but she doesn't quite know when to utter them. I think people will be looking at her a lot differently than the people in Alaska did.

I don't see any of these things when I see her on tv. But then I don't think Obama is a charismatic speaker either. I guess a politician's "charms" are lost on me because I'm focusing on what they are saying.

10. Oct 1, 2008 #9

Art

Yes. That's the point I was making.

To any intelligent onlooker she is quite obviously clueless but unfortunately most of the audience are not intelligent or they are partisan and so see and hear what they want to and so will fall for her act.

From the link above; Palin says,

11. Oct 1, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Biden has one job in front of him. He has to be accurate and concise (the concise part is the really tough part, for him) and he has to be respectful of Palin and let her hang herself with her ignorant responses without appearing to enjoy it. That's all.

With that kind of discipline, Biden slams one out of the park without breaking a sweat.

12. Oct 1, 2008 #11

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

That's no fair.

You're focusing on their verbiage.

13. Oct 1, 2008 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I know it's wrong, but I am a bad person.

14. Oct 1, 2008 #13

Art

I disagree. These debates are not some sort of University Challenge where the person with the most right answers wins. Whoever connects best with the audience wins. It is an unfortunate fact the majority of the electorate do not like their politicians to appear to be smarter than them. They want someone they feel they could hold their own with in a one on one conversation.

15. Oct 1, 2008 #14
    I've been listening to cspan radio. They are playing live all the senators and reps giving talks about the economy in the houses.

These guys all stink. Bla bla bla.........this bill is so important. It will separate the men from the boys and the women from the girls.

One after the other, stupid cliche speeches.

16. Oct 1, 2008 #15
    I just realized why they have that corp jet for the governor. To fly her a** back home, never to be seen or heard from again after this election! :devil:

17. Oct 1, 2008 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If Palin sticks to scripted answers, Biden could blow it. And at this point I have to suspect that expectations for Palin are too low. She can't be as dumb as she sounds. More likely she was in overload. But, even so, by the time the debate is over, McCain could be dead.

Biden could blow it, and truthfully, with expectations for Palin so low, I think there is a good chance that he will get too agressive, or that he might make a stupid gaffe that defines the evening, but I don't see this having a significant effect on the race. The most that McCain can hope is that Palin gains some degree of respectability.

The thing is, the judgement of the entire debate can rest on one line.

18. Oct 1, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

We'll see after tomorrow. I think that most Americans would like to think that people much smarter than themselves are taking care of stuff. If you are right, we may wake up with a McCain/Palin administration after election day.

19. Oct 1, 2008 #18
    Oh, im sure she's a lot dumber than she sounds.

20. Oct 1, 2008 #19

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I've heard that said.

But I must invoke my rights against self incrimination or any other kind of incrimination, or recrimination, or discrimination, or all the way to downright damnation by not saying anything further on the subject.

21. Oct 1, 2008 #20

Art

Don't get me wrong. I hope you are proven right, but having watched the US electorate twice elect a complete moron to the job of president I expect the worst these days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?