Marking a thread as solved

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, the option to mark a thread as solved used to be available in the "Thread Tools" menu, but it was removed due to compatibility issues with the forum software. Some users have expressed a desire for the option to return, but others have suggested that it may hinder further discussion on the topic. The reason for its removal is not entirely clear, and it is possible that it may be reintroduced in the future.
fluidistic
Gold Member
When I start a thread I assume I should be able to mark it as solved when people helped me to answer my question. However in "Thread Tools" I don't see anything like "mark this thread as solved".
So how do you mark the thread as solved?
P.S.:I've read in a thread that it's possible to do it. I just don't see the option.

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
When I start a thread I assume I should be able to mark it as solved when people helped me to answer my question. However in "Thread Tools" I don't see anything like "mark this thread as solved".
So how do you mark the thread as solved?
P.S.:I've read in a thread that it's possible to do it. I just don't see the option.
There is no option, there is an explanation somewhere as to why. For now all you can do is post, Thanks, problem solved. I agree it would be nice to have a solved flag so HH's know to pass the thread by, and people with similar problems know to look there for hints.

Evo said:
There is no option, there is an explanation somewhere as to why. For now all you can do is post, Thanks, problem solved. I agree it would be nice to have a solved flag so HH's know to pass the thread by, and people with similar problems know to look there for hints.

Thanks for the reply.
Please have a look there: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=200697&highlight=solved+thread.
In 2007 it was possible and not anymore?
Yes, I've been writing, "thanks, problem solved" :)

Evo said:
Yes, it used to be an option, I can't remember why it was removed. Maybe someone will find the old thread that explains it.

Thanks a lot.
Yeah I hope to know the reason(s)!

Evo said:
Yes, it used to be an option, I can't remember why it was removed. Maybe someone will find the old thread that explains it.

I'm new to the forum and haven't poked around looking for an old thread saying why it was disabled (and I do agree it might be a nice feature) but I DO see a possible reason why it might be viewed as not the best idea after all, and that is this:

I've seen threads where the OPs basic question was answered, possibly even to his/her complete satisfaction, but where the discussion continued around the central point and/or other relevant side issues. Perhaps eliminating "solved" was to avoid unnecessary shut-down of such discussions by a mark that would seem to signal "ignore this thread henceforth".

Just a thought.

I remember the option a few years ago. But as far as I know, it didn't get used much; hence, why have it?

It was removed because it wasn't compatible with the latest version of the forum software, not really out of choice.

cristo said:
It was removed because it wasn't compatible with the latest version of the forum software, not really out of choice.

Thanks. I hope it will come back some day though.

fluidistic said:
Thanks. I hope it will come back some day though.

I don't know. Maybe "locked" was the more logical solution to newbieism.(sp?)

I know when I first showed up, I was pushing buttons left and right.

mopingormoppingqm.jpg

never mind. it's hyphenated: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0978806638/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I mark a thread as solved?

To mark a thread as solved, you can click on the "Mark as Solved" button located at the top or bottom of the thread. This will change the thread's status to "solved" and add a green checkmark next to the title.

2. Can I mark someone else's thread as solved?

No, only the original poster or a moderator can mark a thread as solved. However, you can suggest that the original poster mark their thread as solved by commenting on the thread.

3. What happens when a thread is marked as solved?

When a thread is marked as solved, it will be moved to the "Solved" section of the forum and will no longer appear in the list of unsolved threads. This helps other users find relevant information more easily.

4. Can I change the status of a thread from solved to unsolved?

Yes, you can change the status of a thread from solved to unsolved by clicking on the "Mark as Unsolved" button located at the top or bottom of the thread. This will remove the green checkmark and change the thread's status back to "unsolved".

5. Is it necessary to mark a thread as solved?

No, it is not necessary to mark a thread as solved. However, it is helpful for other users who may have a similar issue and are looking for a solution. It also helps moderators keep track of which threads are still unsolved and may need further attention.