Is Marking in Library Books Considered Bad Library Etiquette?

• Thread starter Geekchick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary: It takes away from the book's aesthetic. And also, I think people should be more careful with the books they take out because some of them are really delicate.In summary, people who mark in library books are annoying and disrespectful. They should be fined and their library privileges should be revoked.
Geekchick
Is it just me or is it annoying when people mark in library books? My sister just checked out The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene and someone has underlined about 90% of the first 20% of the book and has made all kinds of notes through out the margins. This just gets on my nerve because me and my sister find it distracting (I am planning on reading it after her). So I am just wondering if I am the only who is bothered by this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's disrespectful and should result in a fine comparable to the replacement cost of the text... and after repeated violations, should result in removal of library privileges. I don't let my 9yo stepson turn down corners of pages or handle library book with sticky fingers... let alone be near the book with a pen or pencil ("Are you kidding me?... that's not YOURS!"). The problem is that some parents don't believe in teaching manners and self-discipline anymore, and some children become adults that feel entitled to do whatever they want.

If someone wants to mark up a text, he/she should buy the text. After all, I'm pricing the book at $10.85 US on amazon today. But hey, if the individual marked up 90% of the book, it's obvious he/she didn't have any discretion in sorting information anyways... and apparently got "stuck" after 20% and gave up.

Annoys me as well. Its fine in your own book but not a library book.

whats the point even. underlining does nothing for comprehension or recall

I am strongly against writing in books. I never did it myself until I saw some books from an engineer who did everything with a straight edge and highlighter. His markings were very neat, so I adopted his convention (for my own books).

There are people who write all kinds of crap in their books like its a sheet of note book paper. I say we cut off their fingers so they never do it again.

I even beat my kid for writing in coloring books.

And some even try to be witty, writing something like "I have a truly marvellous proof of this proposition which this margin is too narrow to contain." In Latin!

I am rarely marking even my own books. The only exception is when I correct blatant mistakes in tables and/or equations, I have nothing against then. It saves lot of time when you read book for the second time.

"Fermat was 'ere"

I have a deep respect for books. I would never write in a book let alone highlight the delicate contents. But if you own a book then you can do anything you want.

I think anyone that returns a book after defacing it should be made to buy a replacement and be suspended from the library for at least 6 months so it sinks in. Anyone that stupid and with no regard for others needs to be dealt with.

Evo said:
I think anyone that returns a book after defacing it should be made to buy a replacement and be suspended from the library for at least 6 months so it sinks in. Anyone that stupid and with no regard for others needs to be dealt with.

I agree. Stocking libraries with books costs a lot of money to taxpayers or students paying tuition (in the case of university libraries), and when someone comes along and defaces the book, they should have to pay for it to be replaced. If you can't read without writing in the book, either buy your own copy, or make photocopies of the book to mark up.

The only thing I ever write in library books is "For a good time call, Chi" then I put Chi Mesons phone number underneath. He never should have said he wouldn't accept my call.

Its pretty stupid...I DO write in my textbooks, but only when i find TYPOS!

I get mysteries from the library then highlight the person who "did it" throughout the book.

Uh, ok...lol. Sometimes I swear you BS stuff just to oppose everybody else on here.

Sometimes? I don't do it to oppose everybody though. I do it because it makes me laugh and I'm made it my mission to spread joy and happiness throughout the world.

There are libraries still? I thought everything you need is online..

It would be tough to enforce since people who write in books can claim that it was like that when they got it.

I write in library books, but only philosophy books. I haven't yet read one that was not written in. I'm currently reading a philosophy book on Existentialism and I kind of like the markings people put in. It's interesting to see the points that caught peoples interest and such.

The only thing I don't like is when people underline just about anything without thought, like pointless stuff.

The book I have now had minimum 5-10 people mark in it prior to me, so I'm sure it makes no difference. Or one time I was a girl's place, and while she was out of the room, I sorted through one of her philosophy books, and she had markings throughout the book. It gives it personal character and it was nice to see points that she emphasized and such. I would have to read the book to understand them (the notes) more and obviously discuss things with her.

I don't see the big deal if someone underlines a sentence every other page.

If someone never marks in their own book and their book is brand new, I would be like... dang... lack of character.

I like additional notes that others make in the library books.
But, I never write on books (and I don't like to read - I only read my course related books: engineering, math .. and go over examples only).I also love notes on the public toilet walls or library study tables ... !

Actually, I have a hard time reading mathematics, psychology or philosophy without a pencil in my hand.

I actually use a little post-it note pad as my bookmark to write notes on them.

Journal articles that I print out are usually written all over them, especially the math ones. Psychology and Philosophy, I just underline and comment on things.

JasonRox said:
That's a more reasonable way to take notes on pages if you are using a library book. I don't care what people do with books they own, it's the borrowed ones that it's rude to write in. It doesn't make any sense anyway. If you're going to return the book, what point is it to write in the book? All your notes get returned with the book. Better to make your notes somewhere else on something you'd keep if it's important enough to take notes.

Journal articles that I print out are usually written all over them, especially the math ones. Psychology and Philosophy, I just underline and comment on things.

Mine used to, when I was in grad school and everything was something new that I needed to look up. That fades with time. Now I usually just have a question mark here or there in the margin...either something I don't believe or want to look up or that I want to think about some more.

tribdog said:
I even beat my kid for writing in coloring books.

Most excellent... I'll take up this idea at my house. :rofl:

I must admit, lately my friends and I have taken to perpetuating a Dmitri (sp?) Martin joke. Indifferent graffiti

I don't mind markings in books, but I think it is a clear social contract not to significantly alter a book that you have borrowed.

JasonRox said:
Actually, I have a hard time reading mathematics, psychology or philosophy without a pencil in my hand.

Post-it notes work better than writing in the library book. If you write your notes in the library book, you have to steal it so you don't lose your notes. Then you have to move to a new city to avoid paying the library fine. It just turns into a downward spiral that never ends. (That reminds me, I need to mail back that library book I checked out from the Ohio State Library back in 1975.)

Notes in books I've checked out don't bother me as much as unattended kids. I think every kid left unattended in a library should be given a free espresso and a puppy.

1. What is the purpose of marking in library books?

Marking in library books is done to help organize and identify specific information within the book. This can include highlighting important passages, underlining key points, or adding notes in the margins to aid in comprehension and retention of the material.

2. Is it allowed to mark in library books?

It depends on the specific library's policies. Some libraries may allow marking in books as long as it is done lightly and does not damage the book. However, other libraries may have strict rules against marking in books as it can decrease the value and usability of the book for future readers.

3. How should I mark in library books?

If marking is allowed, it is important to do so in a respectful and non-destructive manner. Use a pencil or light-colored pen to avoid permanent damage to the book. Also, avoid covering important text or illustrations with your markings.

4. Can I remove markings from library books?

It is generally not recommended to remove markings from library books as it can damage the book's pages and cover. However, if the markings are causing a distraction or making the book unreadable, it is best to consult with the library staff for proper removal methods.

5. Are there any alternative methods for marking in library books?

Yes, there are alternative methods for marking in library books that do not involve writing or highlighting in the book itself. Some options include using sticky notes or bookmarks to mark important pages, or keeping a separate notebook or document to record important information from the book.