1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Markov chain and state diagram

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the following queuing system: http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8264/immaginetd.jpg [Broken]
    that models voice traffic that come up with [tex]\alpha[/tex] e [tex]\beta[/tex] parameters, on both queue 1 and 2. When a source of voice is active causes traffic with exponential inter-arrival time which has the parameter of [tex]\lambda[/tex] . Service time is exponential too, with parameter [tex]\mu[/tex] . The scheduling policy is Round Robin (a packet from queue 1, then another packet from queue 2, and so on)work-conserving type (after serving a packet, from queue 1 there are no packet to serve from queue 2, the server remain serving packet from queue 1; and viceversa).
    I would like rappresent this system drawing Markov state transition diagram, but I don't know which are the probabilities of transition between states and also how "the ON OFF automata" affect the whole system.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that a generical state has the form of (N1,N2,S) where N1 means number of users (packet) being in queue 1, and N2 numebr of users in queue 2. S [tex]\in[/tex] {1,2,[tex]\oslash[/tex](=empty set)} means who is being serving. So the initial state of the transitional state diagram could be (0,0,[tex]\oslash[/tex]) no one is being serving. If a packet (the first) is generated from queue 2 this is coded with a state of (0,1,2). But the label of the edge, that connect the initial state with this one, is surely not [tex]\lambda[/tex]. Which is the correct one? How the automata in the figure affect these transitions?
    Thank you all, and sorry for my english and mistakes I'm not native.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2
    Does anybody know what I'm speaking about of?

4. Feb 21, 2011 #3
    u solve it?
    i have the same problem!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook