Markov Process: How to Tell Reversibility & Eigenvalues=1

• I
  • Thread starter Mentz114
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: AND the graph -- ... 'detailed balance' is a property of the matrix, and hence the matrix AND the graph -- ... 'irreducible' is the property of the graph being connected (in the graph theoretic sense) -- ... 'aperiodic' is a property of the graph, and hence the graph AND the matrix (though it has a simple characterization in terms of the matrix) Hope that helps.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a reversible Markov process and its characteristics. The definition of a transition matrix for a Markov process is also
Mentz114
I refer to the transition matrix for a Markov process and I have two questions

1. How can one tell if a Markov process is reversible ?
2. Can it have two (or more) eigenvalues equal to 1 ?

My definition of the matrix is that it should have all rows(or columns) sum to 1.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please define reversible Markov process.

For (2), the identity matrix says that the answer is yes.

Math_QED said:
Please define reversible Markov process.

For (2), the identity matrix says that the answer is yes.
I guess reversible here means there is a way into and out of every node. This eliminates the identity matrix.

Mentz114 said:
I guess reversible here means there is a way into and out of every node. This eliminates the identity matrix.

You mean concretely that for every two states ##x,y##, we have ##x \to y?##

Also, why is the identity matrix a counterexample? You never said that (1) and (2) must hold at the same time?

Math_QED said:
You mean concretely that for every two states ##x,y##, we have ##x \to y?##

Also, why is the identity matrix a counterexample? You never said that (1) and (2) must hold at the same time?
I found what I needed here. It is the same as detailed balance and I do know how to calculate if that is maintained.

https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~gravner/MAT135B/materials/ch16.pdf
Thanks.

A few things:

The standard reference on reversible chains is from Kelly, freely available here:
http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~frank/BOOKS/kelly_book.html

I'd suggest going through chapter 1 in particular.

Your question about multiplicity of eigenvalues = 1 really has nothing to do with time reversibility and everything to do with irreducibility. (Note the identity matrix is the most extreme form of reduciblity.)

To be clear you are talking about a time homogenous discrete time markov chain (or the underlying 'jump chain' for a markov process).

Consider the transition matrix

##\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1&0&0\\
1 & 0 &0&0\\
0 & 0&0&1 \\
0 & 0&1&0\\
\end{bmatrix}##

This is time reversible and does satisfy the detailed balance conditions. The reason it has 2 eigenvalues = 1 is because it is reducible -- which is a graph idea (and in finite states its nicely developed in Peron Frobenius Theory).

• Informative
Likes Mentz114
StoneTemplePython said:
A few things:

The standard reference on reversible chains is from Kelly, freely available here:

I'd suggest going through chapter 1 in particular.

Your question about multiplicity of eigenvalues = 1 really has nothing to do with time reversibility and everything to do with irreducibility. (Note the identity matrix is the most extreme form of reduciblity.)

To be clear you are talking about a time homogenous discrete time markov chain (or the underlying 'jump chain' for a markov process).

Consider the transition matrix

##\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1&0&0\\
1 & 0 &0&0\\
0 & 0&0&1 \\
0 & 0&1&0\\
\end{bmatrix}##

This is time reversible and does satisfy the detailed balance conditions. The reason it has 2 eigenvalues = 1 is because it is reducible -- which is a graph idea (and in finite states its nicely developed in Peron Frobenius Theory).
That is very helpful, thank you. I will look at irreducibility.

StoneTemplePython said:
A few things:

[]
Excellent book. I have found that the process I'm studying is not a tree because it has a reflector at each end (edge?) and therefore reducible.
The e-vectors are concentrated at the end states giving two possible irreversible eqilibrium states. Or is that inference wrong ?

I'm not sure what being a tree has to do with it -- reducibility comes down to communicating classes.

what are e-vectors? Eigenvectors?

What are 'irreversible equilibrium states'? There's a lot of standard terminology that should be used here like transient states vs recurrent states, etc. If you don't have prior familiarity with markov chains, maybe this page can help:

http://www.randomservices.org/random/markov/Discrete.html

StoneTemplePython said:
I'm not sure what being a tree has to do with it -- reducibility comes down to communicating classes.

what are e-vectors? Eigenvectors?

What are 'irreversible equilibrium states'? There's a lot of standard terminology that should be used here like transient states vs recurrent states, etc. If you don't have prior familiarity with markov chains, maybe this page can help:

http://www.randomservices.org/random/markov/Discrete.html
I'm familiar enough to understand the book you linked to.
I use the word 'equilibrium ' incorrectly from thermodynamics.

I understand a tree as a kind of graph. See lemma 1.5, page 9 of the book.

Mentz114 said:
I understand a tree as a kind of graph. See lemma 1.5, page 9 of the book.
So I too know what a tree is... but what you wrote is

Mentz114 said:
I have found that the process I'm studying is not a tree because it has a reflector at each end (edge?) and therefore reducible.
lemma 1.5 gives a sufficient condition for being reversible but it states this is no means necessary. So there isn't a converse here that you can call on for being "not a tree" for reversibility. Nor for that matter is there a converse for a non-tree and reducibility.

I'm scratching my head here.

This stuff gets complicated very quickly. Pinning down the vocabularly is vital.

Yes, it does. I'm misreading things now. Time to stop. Lemma 1.4 refers to the 'equilibrium equations' and those are just the detailed balance conditions.

Thanks for your help. I need to read some more to find out what reducibility is and why it is relevant. So I'll stop bothering you.

Likes StoneTemplePython
Mentz114 said:
Yes, it does. I'm misreading things now. Time to stop. Lemma 1.4 refers to the 'equilibrium equations' and those are just the detailed balance conditions.

Thanks for your help. I need to read some more to find out what reducibility is and why it is relevant. So I'll stop bothering you.

For finite state chains, you can get the bulk of the results you want via Peron Frobenius Theory. The discussion in Meyer's Matrix Analysis is very hard to beat in this regard. The author used to make a watermarked copy freely available on the internet, though not anymore. Reading the wikipedia page on Peron Frobenius and following links in the Notes can pay dividends though...

The big idea is:
-- reversible chains have detailed balance equations so we can get closed form solutions that frequently would be too nasty when just dealing with global balance equations
-- as mentioned in kelly, the transition matrix for a time reversible chain is similar to a symmetric one (this has very nice spectral properties finite dimensions)
-- there's some other insights you can get by running a process backwards that are hard to come by (there's a criterion from Kolmogorov in chapter 1 of Kelly that helps interpret this)
-- an irreducible chain is the simplest form, if something is reducible, then it can be decomposed into simpler parts, and simple is good.
- - - - -
Once you've had time to digest, feel free to revert.

1. What is a Markov Process?

A Markov Process is a stochastic process that follows the Markov property, which states that the future state of the system only depends on the current state and not on the previous states. It is commonly used to model systems that involve randomness and uncertainty.

2. How do you determine if a Markov Process is reversible?

A Markov Process is reversible if it satisfies the detailed balance condition, which states that the rate of transition from state i to state j is equal to the rate of transition from state j to state i. This can be checked by constructing the transition matrix and checking if it is symmetric.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues=1 in a Markov Process?

Eigenvalues=1 in a Markov Process indicate that the system has reached a steady state, where the probabilities of being in each state do not change over time. This steady state is also known as the equilibrium distribution.

4. How do you calculate the eigenvalues of a Markov Process?

The eigenvalues of a Markov Process can be calculated by finding the characteristic polynomial of the transition matrix and solving for its roots. The eigenvalues can then be used to calculate the eigenvectors, which represent the stationary distribution of the system.

5. Can a Markov Process have more than one eigenvalue=1?

No, a Markov Process can only have one eigenvalue=1. This is because the sum of all eigenvalues of a transition matrix is always equal to 1, and if there is more than one eigenvalue=1, the sum would be greater than 1, violating this property.