Markov's Inequality: Estimating P(x>=a) in (1,4)

• Thread starter clipperdude21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Markov's Inequality to estimate the probability of a variable being greater than or equal to a certain value in a uniform distribution. The exact value is compared to the upper bound calculated using Markov's Inequality, and the value of a that minimizes the difference between the two is found to be 2.738. The accuracy of this solution may need to be verified by showing that the actual value is less than the upper bound and checking the second derivative.
clipperdude21
Markov's Inequality !

Let X be uniformly distributed over (1,4)

(a) Use Markov's inequlaity to estimate P(x>=a) a is between 1 to 4 and compare this result to the exact answer.

(b) Find the value of a in (1,4) that minimizes the difference between the bound and the exact probability computed in (a).

For this question i used
EX= (a+b)/2 since its uniformly distributed so i got EX=5/2 which means that the probability of X being greater than or equal to a is less than 5/2a. For the exact value I got the dist function of a uniform RV as being (x-a)/(b-a) so the F(x) should be (a-1)/4. The exact value is 1-(a-1)/4 so i got the exact value as being (4-a)/3.(b) I had (4-a)/3 <= 5/2a and then got them to one side took the derivative and set it equal to 0 and got 2.738

Was this right? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For (a), may need to formally show actual value < upper bound.

For (b), I'd check the second derivative, to be safe.

Yes, your approach is correct. Markov's inequality states that for a non-negative random variable X and any constant a>0, the probability of X being greater than or equal to a is less than or equal to the expected value of X divided by a. In this case, the expected value of X is 5/2, so the probability of X being greater than or equal to a is less than or equal to 5/2a.

To find the value of a that minimizes the difference between the bound and the exact probability, we can set the two expressions equal to each other and solve for a. This gives us (4-a)/3 = 5/2a, which can be rearranged to get a quadratic equation 2a^2 - 11a + 12 = 0. Solving for a, we get a = 2 or a = 6. However, since a must be between 1 and 4, the only valid solution is a = 2.

Therefore, when a = 2, the bound given by Markov's inequality is the closest to the exact probability. This makes sense intuitively, as the expected value of X being 2.5 is closer to the exact probability (4-a)/3 = 1/3 when a = 2, compared to when a = 6.

1. What is Markov's Inequality?

Markov's Inequality is a mathematical formula that allows us to estimate the probability of a random variable being greater than or equal to a certain value. It is commonly used in probability theory and statistics.

2. How is Markov's Inequality used to estimate P(x>=a)?

Markov's Inequality states that for a non-negative random variable X and a positive constant a, the probability of X being greater than or equal to a is less than or equal to the expected value of X divided by a. This can be expressed as P(x>=a) <= E(X)/a.

3. Can Markov's Inequality be used for any type of random variable?

No, Markov's Inequality can only be used for non-negative random variables. If the random variable can have negative values, then it is not applicable.

4. How accurate is Markov's Inequality in estimating P(x>=a)?

Markov's Inequality provides an upper bound for the probability of a random variable being greater than or equal to a. This means that the actual probability could be lower than the estimated value. However, it is a useful tool for approximation and can be improved upon with other techniques.

5. Can Markov's Inequality be used for values other than a single constant?

Yes, Markov's Inequality can be extended to estimate the probability of a random variable being greater than or equal to a function of a. This is known as Chebyshev's Inequality and is a more general form of Markov's Inequality.