Conservation of Momentum in a Moving System

• Thread starter kbyws37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, a marksman standing on a motionless railroad car fires a gun at an angle of 30.0° from the horizontal with a bullet speed of 175 m/s and mass of 0.0110 kg. The man and car move to the left at a speed of 1.20 10−3 m/s after the shot. Using the conservation of momentum, the mass of the man and car can be determined by using the horizontal component of the bullet's momentum, which involves a trig function of the angle.
kbyws37
A marksman standing on a motionless railroad car fires a gun into the air at an angle of 30.0° from the horizontal (the figure below). The bullet has a speed of 175 m/s (relative to the ground) and a mass of 0.0110 kg. The man and car move to the left at a speed of 1.20 10−3 m/s after he shoots. What is the mass of the man and car?
[Hint: A component of a system's momentum along an axis is conserved if the net external force acting on the system has no component along that axis.]

fig026.gif

I know that Pi = Pf where there is conservation of momentum.

so M1V1i + M2V2i = M1V1f + M2V2f
0 = M1V1f + M2V2f

but I'm not sure what numbers to plug in because there is also an angle involved.

Physics news on Phys.org
kbyws37 said:
A marksman standing on a motionless railroad car fires a gun into the air at an angle of 30.0° from the horizontal (the figure below). The bullet has a speed of 175 m/s (relative to the ground) and a mass of 0.0110 kg. The man and car move to the left at a speed of 1.20 10−3 m/s after he shoots. What is the mass of the man and car?
[Hint: A component of a system's momentum along an axis is conserved if the net external force acting on the system has no component along that axis.]

fig026.gif

I know that Pi = Pf where there is conservation of momentum.

so M1V1i + M2V2i = M1V1f + M2V2f
0 = M1V1f + M2V2f

but I'm not sure what numbers to plug in because there is also an angle involved.

Use the horizontal component of the bullet (it will involve a trig function [sin, cos, or tan] of the angle).

thanks! i got the correct answer. :)

What is a marksman on a railroad car?

A marksman on a railroad car is a skilled shooter who is positioned on a train or railroad car to protect the train and its passengers from potential threats or attacks.

What is the purpose of having a marksman on a railroad car?

The purpose of a marksman on a railroad car is to provide security and protection for the train and its passengers. They are trained to identify and neutralize potential threats, such as armed attackers or obstacles on the tracks.

What training do marksman on railroad cars undergo?

Marksman on railroad cars undergo rigorous training in marksmanship, train safety procedures, and situational awareness. They are also trained in emergency response and communication protocols.

What kind of weapons do marksman on railroad cars use?

Marksman on railroad cars typically use high-powered rifles or handguns, depending on the specific situation. They are trained to accurately and effectively use their weapons to neutralize any threats to the train and its passengers.

How are marksman on railroad cars selected?

Marksman on railroad cars are selected based on their experience, skills, and physical abilities. They often have prior military or law enforcement training and undergo a thorough background check before being selected for the role.