Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marlon's journal

1. May 18, 2005 #1
    Hi,

as you might now, i have this little habit of writing texts in my journal...i know, i know, that is quite the intention, but what i wanted to know is this : are there any members that have a specific suggestion for a physics-related topic that they need clarification on ? For those that read my journal, if something is not clear in the texts i have written so far , please let me know your comments.

Same goes for the "elementary particles presented" thread...

thanks in advance

ps : to the mentors and administrators : is it possible to implement Latex in the journals ?

regards
    marlon

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let me second that vote for "[tex]\LaTeX[/tex] in the journals".

When the journals were first introduced, I thought that they would be a good place to store material for posting... or to elaborate on ideas that might not be appropriate for a particular thread. However, when I saw that [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] was not supported, I stopped using the journal feature.

4. May 19, 2005 #3
    i have asked the LateX question several times now and still have gotten no answer. i really wonder why that is ?

marlon

5. May 19, 2005 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ask Chroot, he can give you an answer.

6. May 19, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If they decide to enable LaTex in the journals,then i might consider writing something in mine.Physics & mathematics related.

Daniel.

7. May 19, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aww, marlon, what a shameless attempt to get people to read your journal. :tongue2: :rofl: :rofl: :biggrin:

8. May 19, 2005 #7

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Latex in journals would seem to be a very good idea! (Unless there were any significant downside; I can't think of any right now).

Back to marlon's kind offer. A question if I may ... would you consider astrophysics topics? If it's a question of contextualising the astronomical jargon, help would be offered. Also, how tough?

First, the easy pieces: electron degeneracy pressure (white dwarfs) and neutron degeneracy pressure (neutron stars). For fun, how about 'are strange stars possible? what about quark stars?'

9. May 19, 2005 #8

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh. I don't think Warren was too keen on the Journals to begin with, so this might be a tough sell. But you know, there was a time when we didn't have LaTeX and we got along OK. You could use html code in the mean time.

Check it out:

∇xE=-(1/c)∂B/∂t

Not as pretty, but certainly functional.

10. May 20, 2005 #9
    :rofl:

You really should become a political spin doctor, moonbear...there just ain't no fooling you...

regards

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?