Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marriage

1. Jan 7, 2005 #1
    Is marriage only a licensce to sex?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2005 #2
    I would say no.
    If you look at marriage in a non-religous sence, you can have sex with reletivly anything at anytime (if you try hard enough), marriage is not supposed to be based on sex. My opinoin is that marriage is when two consenting people decide that they are fit for each other and want to make a deeper commitment to there relationship; not that they just want to have crazy sex.

Just my opinon...

4. Jan 7, 2005 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Legally, marriage is a contract, with a number of economic and legal implications.

5. Jan 7, 2005 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I just thought of an interesting distortion of this question. I believe it is legal to marry someone below the legal age of consent as long as their parents allow it. Is it then legal to have sex with them?

6. Jan 7, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

In Florida, emanciaption (where a minor is granted "adult" status) comes with getting married:
    so statutory rape wouldn't apply. Some quick searching found that most states (I didn't count them all- there's 50, y'know!) either grant emancipation with marriage or make an exception in their "age of consent" laws for married minors. And some states allow minors to get married without parental consent if they are pregnant, so...

7. Jan 7, 2005 #6

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

the true benefit of marriage is you have the other person being able to receive any benefits from you (should you pass away) or make decisions for you (if you were in a state of inability to make comprehensive decisions). Otherwise, it would be the next of kin who would have this control. When you marry, legally in the U.S.A., you are guaranteeing that person whom you marry that they can make the legal decisions for you.

As for sex, it has nothing to do with marriage.

8. Jan 7, 2005 #7
    As for sex, it has nothing to do with marriage.[/QUOTE]

I agree COMPLETLY

9. Jan 8, 2005 #8
    well premaital sex is bad and marital sex is okay. Why? After all both are the same

10. Jan 8, 2005 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This may or may not be true, depending on your value system. There is no inherent truth in either belief.

- Warren

11. Jan 8, 2005 #10

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I wouldn't go this far. If that were really true, then people would get married to anyone... but people get married to those they are sexually attracted to and plan to have sex with... You don't see heterosexual men marrying other heterosexual men... The whole thing has something to do with sex (sexual attraction etc).

12. Jan 8, 2005 #11

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

according to the American society, yes :wink: are you aware that other cultures of the world have arranged marriages? no sexual attraction there prior to the marriage.

13. Jan 8, 2005 #12
    What if marriage were outlawed and everyone remained legally single? We things be better or worse? What if marriage were required by law and enforced by social pressure, would that be better?

14. Jan 8, 2005 #13
    Then you could ask the question is marriage nessacry?

15. Jan 8, 2005 #14

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i think the definition of marriage shall change over the next generation or two, but the concept of it will remain i am certain.

16. Jan 8, 2005 #15

learningphysics

Homework Helper

That's true, but there's usually sex after the beginning of the marriage.

My question is if sex has nothing to do with marriage, then why don't two heterosexual males ever get married, or two heterosexual females... or in general, two people who will not have sex with each other and have no desire to??

17. Jan 8, 2005 #16

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Have you been living on a desert island?

The marriage of like sexes is illegal (except in Massachusetts).

18. Jan 8, 2005 #17
    Remeber: Marriage (when not arranged) is making a deeper commitment into an already established relationship. ie. Allowing your spouse to make desicions only you can make (legal matters)

Concerning "learning physics":
    People get married without sex on there minds all the time, Think about when you marry someone else from another country so they can be admitted into the country!!! People do this all the TIME!
    (this is a decently poor example but you did not give me much to work with :tongue2: )

Now a question to you guys who think that marriage is about sex:
    How would you explain a relationship in which the two consenting people have been having sex for years, and only after a long discussion, the y decide to commit there relationship further and get married. Is it more sex on there minds??? I don't think so since they have been having sex the whole time. Then if it is not sex, why are the getting married?????

19. Jan 8, 2005 #18
    People get married in illegal circumstances, two instances being consanguineous and bigamous unions. Why do heterosexuals of the same sex never, except in prison, similarly enter conjugal unions?

20. Jan 8, 2005 #19

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Yes yes I know that. It seems like my point is being missed over and over.
    I'm saying that two people that are not going to have sex, and have no sexual attraction, generally have no desire to get married (unless there is some ulterior motive like getting citizenship etc) ... I don't see women wanting to marry their best friends (neither being gay), or men wanting to marry their best friends (neither being gay).

Why is it that there are no pairs of heterosexual males fighting to get married? Why is there only a "gay" marriage debate, and not a "same sex" marriage debate??? Nobody discusses the case of two people of the same sex wanting to marry when neither are gay... Why is this??? Preciously because such a situation does not exist... there are no pairs of heterosexual males wanting to get married....

21. Jan 8, 2005 #20

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Why do they want to get married to the person they are having sex with and not somebody else???? Why do people generally wish to marry those that they have sex with?

They wouldn't even be thinking about marriage if there was 0 sex and 0 sexual attraction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?