How Does a Man Walking on a Merry-Go-Round Affect Its Motion?

• Thread starter asafbuch
  • Start date
In summary, the system of a man with mass m walking with constant velocity v on the edge of a merry-go-round with radius R and moment of inertia I, starting from rest, will have an angular velocity of ω = mRv/I. When the man completes a full cycle, the merry-go-round will have rotated by an angle of 2π radians. In order for the man to not get off the merry-go-round, the friction coefficient between them must be high enough to prevent slipping. Conservation of angular momentum applies for this system, with the external friction at the centre having no effect on the angular velocity.
asafbuch
1. A man with mass m walks with a constant velocity v with respect to the ground on the edge of a marry-go-round that has a radius of R and moment of inertia I. The system starts from rest.
a) what is the angular velocity of the marry-go-round?
b) when the man completes a full cycle (returns to its initial position) at what angle did the marry-go-round rotate?
c)what is the friction coefficient between the man and the marry-go-round for the man not to get off the marry-go-round?

2. No relevant equations.

3. I tried to use conservation of angular momentum and got this:
I[tex]\omega[/tex]+mR2v/R=0

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi asafbuch! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and btw it's "merry-go-round" :wink:)
asafbuch said:
3. I tried to use conservation of angular momentum and got this:

that's right!

so ω = … ? :smile:

I thought so... but shouldn't there be any torque?

If there is a conservation of angular momentum than there is no torque acting on the marry-go-round, means there is no friction between the man and the marry-go-round...
but if there is a torque (and thus a friction) than you don't have a constant angular velocity...

whats wrong with the theory?

hi asafbuch! :wink:

there will be conservation of angular momentum about any point if there is no external torque about that point …

the external friction is at the centre (and so has zero torque about the centre), so angular momentum will be conserved about the centre :smile:

(the friction between the man and the merry-go-round is an internal torque, so it doesn't matter :wink:)

oh, thank you tiny-tim!

1. What is the concept of "Marry-Go-Round and a man"?

"Marry-Go-Round and a man" is a metaphor used to describe the cycle of marriage and divorce that some men go through multiple times in their lives.

2. Why is this phenomenon more common among men?

This is due to societal norms and expectations that place pressure on men to get married and be the breadwinner in a relationship. As a result, they may feel the need to quickly remarry after a divorce to fulfill these expectations.

3. What are the potential consequences of this cycle for men?

The constant cycle of marriage and divorce can have negative effects on a man's emotional and financial well-being. It can also impact their relationships with their children and future partners.

4. Is "Marry-Go-Round and a man" a recent phenomenon?

No, this has been observed for many years, but it has become more prevalent in modern times due to changing attitudes towards marriage and divorce.

5. How can this cycle be broken for men?

Breaking this cycle often involves challenging societal expectations and redefining what it means to be a successful man. Seeking therapy and working on self-awareness can also help break unhealthy patterns and create healthier relationships.