Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marry our daughter

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1

EL

Science Advisor

How nice...

http://www.marryourdaughter.com/

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2
    Ill give you two goats and a chicken for your daughter.

Seriously though, thats disturbing. Those girls are still in high school.

4. Sep 7, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Woah.. the majority of these daughters are 15/16 years old. Is this not, firstly, pretty sick, and secondly illegal? And.. these parents have put a price on their daughter.. you've gotta feel bad for the girl who's only valued at $6k.

5. Sep 7, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oooh, I just signed up both my daughters, which one do you want Cyrus? One is a Computer Science major and the other is pre-med.

edit: Both my daughters are of legal age.

6. Sep 7, 2007 #5

Astronuc

Reminds me of John Belushi as Jake Elwood in the Blues Brothers - "How much for the girl?"

I'm opposed to arranged marriages.

In this matter, it's the woman's prerogative to chose her sweetheart and mate!

7. Sep 7, 2007 #6

Evo

If it's not a prank, it would amount to selling a person if they don't consent.

8. Sep 7, 2007 #7
    Pre med are always the hot ones. :tongue2: Do you accept paypal??

9. Sep 7, 2007 #8
    The testimonials are even more creepy.

wtf, I feel like this site is fake

10. Sep 7, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't click on the site yet...they put a fee up? Doesn't that make it prostitution?

11. Sep 7, 2007 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It also brings in the question of whether consent from such a young girl actually means anything. I hope this is a prank, especially after reading this "testimonial"-- why would such people have children?

12. Sep 7, 2007 #11
    I feel like its a site to catch pedofiles and chris hansen is going to walk through my door.

13. Sep 7, 2007 #12

Evo

Hey, wait, these people are getting new cars and jacuzzis, I think you need to throw a few more goats in there.

14. Sep 7, 2007 #13

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, that's what I thought, but then on the FAQ's it discusses "bridal fees" which apparently are fees from ancient times that potential grooms paid the parents of the bride. It sounds very dodgy to me, and I'm sure it can't be legal (well, it wouldn't in the UK anyway!)

15. Sep 7, 2007 #14
  16. Sep 7, 2007 #15
    Arranged marriages are not so strange. Even though it is immoral, it is practiced by millions of people (most of which in religious customs). I cannot think of this happening in a democratic secular society.

17. Sep 7, 2007 #16
    The sad part is the internet is that bad that it might be true.

18. Sep 7, 2007 #17
    I'd put my own daughter up there too, but where am I going to get $20000?

19. Sep 7, 2007 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I looked everywhere there trying to find something that said "ha ha, gotcha!" but didn't. That's scary, but those testimonials sound too weird for it to be real. The scam part is possible too since they say they charge a listing fee based on bride price.

Cyrus' comment about it sounding like a pedophile trap is possible too...that's just too creepy, and it sounds like that's what they'd attract is a lot of pedophiles (those testimonials aren't talking about 14 year-olds finding another 14-year old, they're talking about marrying a young teen off to some older man with enough money to pay the bride price and support a wife, etc.)

20. Sep 7, 2007 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Where'd I leave my chequebook? :uhh:

21. Sep 7, 2007 #20

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It happens in India and needn't necessarily be immoral either. In many cases, individuals are quite happy to let their family/parents "pick" a match.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?