Marry our daughter

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
EL
Science Advisor

Main Question or Discussion Point

How nice...

http://www.marryourdaughter.com/

Marry Our Daughter is an introduction service assisting those following the Biblical tradition of arranging marriages for their daughters.

Those who wish to list their Daughters with our site should click on SIGN UP OUR DAUGHTER on our main page for a form to fill out.

Those who wish to propose to a specific Daughter should click on the PROPOSE button on the Daughter’s INFO CARD.

Answers and Replies

Ill give you two goats and a chicken for your daughter.

Seriously though, thats disturbing. Those girls are still in high school.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Woah.. the majority of these daughters are 15/16 years old. Is this not, firstly, pretty sick, and secondly illegal? And.. these parents have put a price on their daughter.. you've gotta feel bad for the girl who's only valued at $6k.

Evo
Mentor
Oooh, I just signed up both my daughters, which one do you want Cyrus? One is a Computer Science major and the other is pre-med.

edit: Both my daughters are of legal age.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Reminds me of John Belushi as Jake Elwood in the Blues Brothers - "How much for the girl?"

I'm opposed to arranged marriages.

In this matter, it's the woman's prerogative to chose her sweetheart and mate!

Evo
Mentor
If it's not a prank, it would amount to selling a person if they don't consent.

Oooh, I just signed up both my daughters, which one do you want Cyrus? One is a Computer Science major and the other is pre-med.

Pre med are always the hot ones. :tongue2: Do you accept paypal??

The testimonials are even more creepy.

“I was SO scared getting married so young, but my husband is an okay guy and I am SO proud that because of me my parents were able to get their first brand-new car and take the trip they always wanted to. I couldn’t have done it without your site!"

—Katrina K., married at 14
wtf, I feel like this site is fake

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Woah.. the majority of these daughters are 15/16 years old. Is this not, firstly, pretty sick, and secondly illegal? And.. these parents have put a price on their daughter.. you've gotta feel bad for the girl who's only valued at $6k.
I didn't click on the site yet...they put a fee up? Doesn't that make it prostitution?

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
If it's not a prank, it would amount to selling a person if they don't consent.
It also brings in the question of whether consent from such a young girl actually means anything. I hope this is a prank, especially after reading this "testimonial"-- why would such people have children?

“Our 15 year old daughter Mary wasn’t very popular and did nothing but mope around the house bringing everybody down, so we decided to marry her off through your site. Now our house is a lot cheerier and we love our new swimming pool and Jaccuzi! We’ve told our youngest that when she turns 15 we’re going to marry her off too!"

I feel like its a site to catch pedofiles and chris hansen is going to walk through my door.

Evo
Mentor
Pre med are always the hot ones. :tongue2: Do you accept paypal??
Hey, wait, these people are getting new cars and jacuzzis, I think you need to throw a few more goats in there.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I didn't click on the site yet...they put a fee up? Doesn't that make it prostitution?
Well, that's what I thought, but then on the FAQ's it discusses "bridal fees" which apparently are fees from ancient times that potential grooms paid the parents of the bride. It sounds very dodgy to me, and I'm sure it can't be legal (well, it wouldn't in the UK anyway!)

Arranged marriages are not so strange. Even though it is immoral, it is practiced by millions of people (most of which in religious customs). I cannot think of this happening in a democratic secular society.

The sad part is the internet is that bad that it might be true.

I'd put my own daughter up there too, but where am I going to get $20000?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I looked everywhere there trying to find something that said "ha ha, gotcha!" but didn't. That's scary, but those testimonials sound too weird for it to be real. The scam part is possible too since they say they charge a listing fee based on bride price.

Cyrus' comment about it sounding like a pedophile trap is possible too...that's just too creepy, and it sounds like that's what they'd attract is a lot of pedophiles (those testimonials aren't talking about 14 year-olds finding another 14-year old, they're talking about marrying a young teen off to some older man with enough money to pay the bride price and support a wife, etc.)

Danger
Gold Member
Where'd I leave my chequebook? :uhh:

siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Arranged marriages are not so strange. Even though it is immoral, it is practiced by millions of people (most of which in religious customs). I cannot think of this happening in a democratic secular society.
It happens in India and needn't necessarily be immoral either. In many cases, individuals are quite happy to let their family/parents "pick" a match.

and india is a stupid place to live, err..
and this testimonial thing is soooooooo cheap and ridiculous

It happens in India and needn't necessarily be immoral either. In many cases, individuals are quite happy to let their family/parents "pick" a match.
I doubt that those particular people do not have a choice but to act happy?

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

#!&%@, Evo!! My coffee just went everywhere! :rofl:

What's weird is that my mom was approached twice by parents (two different couples) interested in arranging a marriage between their son and my sister. This is when my sister was very young, too. I think it happened the first time when she was a preschooler and then again when she was eight! Both incidents happened when they were living in Texas.

So how long has your sister been married MIH? I do take it thats how your mom got that dream mercedes and vacation she deserved for so long. <Damn needy kids taking away all of moms fun!>

russ_watters
Mentor
Seriously though, thats disturbing. Those girls are still in high school.
High school? Isn't that a little old for an arranged marriage?