Marry our daughter

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
I'm not far behind. :biggrin:
6-7 years at least, youngster! :tongue: I don't mind my age. I grew up in a time and place where none of us had much material stuff (compared to today), but I learned a lot about caring for livestock, basic carpentry, etc, and I worked full-time all my summers since I was about 15 or so. My parents grew up during the Great Depression, so I learned to waste nothing and make the most of what we had.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Funny how we have a bunch of people saying "arranged marriages, sick!" "young girls having sex sick!," and then we have a guy that is comparing without bias, multiple cultures and how in other cultures these issues are not necessarily firmly wrong. I got close to what I wanted to say but didn't quite— something about moral relativism, perspective, and how with held personal morals you are always right, and everybody who does not agree with you is wrong.
Okay, that site is worse than just an arranged marriage (my understanding, which may be wrong, is that most modern-day arranged marriages still take into account the preferences of each of the young people to be betrothed, and includes a lengthy period during which the families learn about each other and the two young people to determine if they will be well suited for each other, as a couple and as a family). That site is pretty much just selling the girls. Based on a rather superficial paragraph and a photo, someone is supposed to click on the "propose" button and cough up tens of thousands of dollars to buy their wife. Might as well be mail order brides.

Danger
Gold Member
I'm the old guy - Astro's gray notwithstanding.:smile:
Well, that was never in question. While your profile says that you're ploughing the ZPE field, you neglected to mention that you also planted it.

turbo
Gold Member
Zathras not plant ZPE field. That was Zathras. Zathras, not Zathras. See? Different.

slugcountry
oh god i miss B5

turbo
Gold Member
oh god i miss B5
Join Netflix for a couple of months, and you can get the whole series and their full-length specials. It's about 35 DVDs, IIR.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Yeah - "MarryOurDaughter.com has received 60 million hits since it launched last week—and, believe it or not, on top of angry letters, thousands of proposals."

On page 2 -
Real or not real, the blogs are buzzing about MarryOurDaughter.com, and everybody seems to have the same question: if it is a hoax, why bother? The care put into the site is clear—it's smart, witty and well-designed. As it turns out, Ordover’s intentions go deeper than poking fun. He says he was hired by a group of women from a local support group who'd been married out in similar fashions—and wanted to draw attention to a very real problem. Marriage laws vary by state in the U.S. and are often in conflict with statutory-rape laws, he says—meaning that, with parental permission, it's not uncommon to find girls as young as 13 married with children in states where the legal age of sexual consent is more like 17.
This last bit is INSANE! What parents would do such a thing?!

Utah, which allows marriages with parental consent at age 14, also allows a person to marry without consent if he or she has been previously married.
Outdated is an understatement.

Here's my concern. Since so many people took this seriously, how long before someone creates a serious version? How long before lawmakers get around to straightening this out?

But what about a real site? Mail-order-bride sites are legal under international law, as long as the bride is of age, says Andrea Bertone, the director of HumanTrafficking.org. And depending on state laws, requiring a specific dowry for an underage girl—with parental approval—would appear to be just fine. But at some point, dowry crosses over to bride price crosses over into selling—which crosses over into trafficking. “It's complicated, because child marriage is quite common around the world," says Bertone, whose research center is based at the Academy for Educational Development in Washington. “It might be interpreted under the U.N. Trafficking Protocol to be illegal (although there is nothing in the U.N. Trafficking Protocol or the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child that mentions anything about marriage or brides), but there is little that can be done if countries do not outlaw it and then enforce their own laws.”