Mars as Second Earth

• A
  • Thread starter tobyr65
  • Start date
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I find it hard to think of a scenario where it would be worth using an extra planet. By the time humans could do that sort of thing, I am sure they would have 'dealt with' the population problem (humanely) and the reason for moving home would have to be some horrific predicted event in the Solar System. That would require moving to another Star.
Anyone ever watch Space 1999?. Now that really was an interesting scenario. Taking your own planet with you.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Find a suitable comet and nudge its orbit so that it impacts Mars' leading hemisphere while Mars is at the perihelion.
I guess you must have been watching the Championship Snooker on UK TV. :wink:

Looks to me as if those figures signify 'end of' this conversation. If we had a fraction of that amount of energy,
How much energy was needed to move Jupiter?

Whacking Mars with comets or, preferably, rocky asteroids won't shift the orbit significantly unless they're big enough to leave a hemispheric crater. Sadly that would barely affect the orbit, but it would blow off a tangential chunk of the already-thin atmosphere, cause a LOT of property damage and potentially waste much permafrost. { "White Gold, Homesteads' Key..." } Also, it would probably scatter Martian meteorites across the inner Solar System, creating a unwelcome 'Hazard to Navigation'.
You assume that people who can move a comet are too stupid to vaporize it shortly before impacting Mars. :D

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
You assume that people who can move a comet are too stupid to vaporize it shortly before impacting Mars. :D
I certainly thought that. Or rather I thought that the scenario was literally slamming an intact comet into the planet. Vaporizing it never occurred to me.