Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mars closest to earth

1. Jun 15, 2003 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I hope this is not a duplicate topic, if it is, I apologize...

I watched on science news the other night that Mars is to venture its closest to earth then most people will see for a long while...and also a mission is planned to land on mars...any news, topics already started or info on this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2003 #2

Science Advisor

The mission carries two landers with rovers onboard. The Mars Exploration Rover mission (MER) is a two-vehicle program. These two rovers have been named "Spirit" and "Opportunity" by a 9-year-old girl. Spirit launched on June 10th, and is proceeding as planned. You can check on its progress at the mission's homepage by clicking on the "Where is Spirit Now?" link (I check it every day).

Pretty exiting stuff!
  4. Jun 15, 2003 #3
    i heard (just a rumor!) that NASA is thinking about putting a man on mars in 2013. (providing the war budget doesn't kill us)
  5. Jun 15, 2003 #4

Science Advisor

Greetings !

If I remember correctly there are 3 Mars missions (two
    NASA and one ESA)launching this month. Also about the
    closest path to Mars it will happen in August and we'll
    be about 35 million miles or 56 million kilometers away
    (the article I read says it happens either once in
    200 or once in 200,000 years, sorry I forgot that part ).

maximus, I don't think so but we'd all wish it was so...:frown:

Live long and prosper.
  6. Jun 16, 2003 #5

Science Advisor

Yes ESA's mission is called "Mars Exrpess". It launched on June 2nd and will arrive at the red planet Dec. 24th (I want extraterrestrial photos for Christmass!) . Spirit will get there Jan 4th, and Opportunity on Jan 25th.
  7. Jun 18, 2003 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?