Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mars Fossils

1. Jun 9, 2004 #1
    This person has come up with a very good case for fossils on mars, well at least it's got me convinced. What do you think?

http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip/marsfoss.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is much rumor these days, but if and when NASA is sure that life did or does exist on Mars, I have no doubt that we will all hear about it. Any and all evidence needs to be scrutinized very carefully by many scientists before anyone can be sure. So, my take is that any claims of "proof" are premature at best.

4. Jun 9, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The only thing compelling on the site was this:
    Seems this guy just wants his name out there in case NASA happens to find anything.

No, no fossils were found on Mars. Lotta rocks though.

5. Jun 9, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Has all of the data been completely scrutnized? Though I am way behind on the news these days, the last that I heard, we have more questions than answers thus far. Do you have a NASA link for this?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  6. Jun 9, 2004 #5
    I saw a cloud once that looked like a kind of sea urchin/trilobite kind of thingy.

7. Jun 9, 2004 #6

Janitor

Science Advisor

Shucks, all the clouds around here just look like cauliflower or brains.

8. Jun 9, 2004 #7
    Yeah, but I'm thinkin' that rock in that pichur definitly looked like an authentic raw oyster. Spooky.

9. Jun 9, 2004 #8
  10. Jun 9, 2004 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Alright, I think you two need your Riddlin dosage increased. :biggrin:

Not to defend this particular report, keep in mind that controversy still exists over results from the Mariner mission from the 70's, I think it was, and then over the Mars rock that was found in the Antarctic. I hardly think the results from these missions which are still ongoing, could be complete.

11. Jun 9, 2004 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Certainly not - that'll take years. Maybe they will eventually find some, but what I said was they haven't found any....[yet]. :wink:

12. Jun 9, 2004 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fair enough. I would think this will keep the planetary people busy for the next lifetime or so.

Anyone care to venture a guess on how many PhDs will come from all of this? :surprise:

13. Jun 10, 2004 #12
    Ok so maybe the trilobites are dubious, but I go with the sea urchin thing, but I have to admit they don't look so convincing anymore. Is there some kind of periodical NASA report that comes out on their latest analysis of mars data?
    EDIT:
    People in the know call it 'catbox' :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?