Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mars highly visible to Earth?

1. Aug 21, 2006 #1
    I just heard recently that in the near future mars is going to be highly visible to Earth. What is the details of this? Why is this so and what dates, time and position in the sky can I view this?
    thanks RAD

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

http://stardate.org/nightsky/mars_spectacular.html
    In 2006,

http://stardate.org/radio/program.php?f=detail&id=2006-08-20
    Stardate is sponsored by the McDonald Observatory.

4. Aug 21, 2006 #3

russ_watters

So the short answer is that Mars won't be near its brightest for another year and a half, having about a 2.5 year cycle of brightness and having been at its brightest last fall.

At its brightest, Mars is brighter than any star, but for the next year it won't be any brighter than a medium-bright star.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  5. Aug 21, 2006 #4

Thank you for your very informed reply. You know a lot about the current night time sky and I thank you for taking the time to reply so informatively.
    I heard the rumor about mars from word of mouth but I didn't hear that it would be as big as the full moon. Had I heard that I would have dismissed it as bunk.
    I did get to view Mars in 2003 and I remember it was the closest it would be in many years. Today I found out on the local news that three morning stars would be aligned by the crescent moon. I am going to copy and paste your reply and send it to the local TV station here in Chicago that sometimes annouces atronomy events during the weather broadcast
    Once again thanks for your detailed reply
    RAD

6. Aug 21, 2006 #5

Labguy

Science Advisor

7. Aug 21, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Three morning planets...

Attached Files:

• sky.jpg
      sky.jpg
      File size:
      59.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Aug 21, 2006 #7

Labguy

Science Advisor

Cool screenshot..:approve:

9. Aug 22, 2006 #8
    In the newspapers planets are often referred to as "morning stats" and "evening stars" though you are right they are indeed planets
    RAD

10. Aug 29, 2006 #9
    But how accurate is the calcultaions that the next closest encounter of mars and earth would be on year 2287?...can you show me the actual calcultaion? formulas? equations?....just curious...thanks a lot friends...

DANDYBOY

11. Jul 15, 2009 #10
    um....go to school, you know how long it takes to learn the math involved ??

just get with your Trig and calculus and such. AND if you dont have time for THAT !!!

download and run celestia for FREE !!!! and you can speed up slow down, reverse, pause, orbital patterns all you want and see for yourself.

12. Jul 15, 2009 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you notice that the post Dejaeviz was responding to was almost three years old?

13. Jul 15, 2009 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Erm no .....:blushing:

14. Jul 15, 2009 #13
    I guess your not familiar with all time exists at the same time ? inter-dimensionally speaking, i just responded before i responded before he responded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?