Why was the Mars lander set spinning before its final rocket stage?

In summary: If you have any other ideas, please let me know.In summary, the final rocket stage was set to fire with an angular velocity directed along the engine force vector, which was necessary for the Mars lander to maintain its trajectory. The spin was stopped after the engine fired by launching two small weights transverse to the angular velocity vector on the end of long wires which were later jettisoned.
forty
Before the final rocket stage the Mars lander was set spinning with an angular velocity directed along the engine force vector.

I am completely lost to why they did this. By spinning the lander do they speed it up? Using the right hand rule the angular velocity vector points in the direction of motion (if i interpreted "angular velocity directed along the engine force vector." correctly).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
forty said:
Before the final rocket stage the Mars lander was set spinning with an angular velocity directed along the engine force vector.

I am completely lost to why they did this. By spinning the lander do they speed it up? Using the right hand rule the angular velocity vector points in the direction of motion (if i interpreted "angular velocity directed along the engine force vector." correctly).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Angular velocity vectors point along the axis of rotation. So if you were watching the lander from above, you would see a small rocket engine firing (or pulsing in burst) to set the lander rotating either clockwise or counter-clockwise.

And why is that necessary for them to set the lander on the right trajectory? can't they do that without it spinning?

Think about what happens when you try to change the direction of the angular momentum. If you want a real life example of this, think of a time that you've held a gyroscope in your hands. This should provide you some clues as to what is happening.

Does it help provide 'stability' ? I'm just trying to use the idea of a gyroscope :S

forty said:
Does it help provide 'stability' ? I'm just trying to use the idea of a gyroscope :S

It is for stability and to maintain the spacecraft in a (reasonably) fixed orientation. This is important if the main rocket engine is going to change the velocity of the descending lander in a predictable way.

So from what I've gathered, before the final rockets are fired it is set spinning, to help its stability and maintain a fixed orientation while the last stage rockets are firing. The spinning is then stopped (by some weights being fired out to either side -> increasing moment of inertia, these weights are then detached). Then on its decent it is set spinning for the same reasons as before?

Please tell me I'm on the right direction. Rotations just aren't my thing >_>

I would suppose that is correct. (I'm not clear about why they bother stopping the rotation -- "despinning", as they call it -- if they need to have it spinning again later.)

Well the exact question I'm trying to answer is as follows:

just before the final rocket engine was fired to set the Mars lander on its trajectory to Mars, which required a high-precision velocity force vector, the lander was set spinning with an angular velocity directed along the engine force vector. Describe in words why you think it was necessary for the engine to fire while the lander was spinning. Also describe how the spin was stopped after the engine fired by launching two small weights transverse to the angular velocity vector on the end of long wires which were later jettisoned.I can explain the 2nd part of the question in regards to the despin but as for why it needs to spin for it to have a high-precision velocity vector stumps me. The only real thing i can think of is that it provides stability, or rather an increase in a resistance to change of its velocity kind of like an increase in inertia.

1. What caused the Mars lander to start spinning?

The Mars lander likely started spinning due to a malfunction in its guidance system or an unexpected disturbance from the Martian environment.

2. How fast is the Mars lander spinning?

The speed of the Mars lander's spinning can vary, but it is typically reported in revolutions per minute (RPM) or degrees per second. The exact speed would depend on the specific situation and conditions.

3. Is the Mars lander in danger while spinning?

It depends on the severity of the spinning and the capabilities of the lander. If the spinning is extreme and uncontrolled, it could potentially damage the lander or cause it to lose communication with Earth. However, if the spinning is minor and the lander is equipped with stabilization mechanisms, it may not be in immediate danger.

4. How can the spinning of the Mars lander be stopped?

Depending on the cause of the spinning, there are a few different methods that could potentially stop it. These could include using thrusters to counteract the spinning motion, sending commands from Earth to adjust the lander's orientation, or implementing internal stabilization systems.

5. Will the spinning affect the mission's success?

It is possible that the spinning could impact the success of the mission, depending on the severity and duration of the spinning. It could potentially affect the lander's ability to collect data or perform tasks, but it is also possible for the lander to recover and resume its mission after the spinning is stopped.