Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mars rocks and Ancient Constructions?

1. Jan 10, 2004 #1
    Listening to Richard Hoagland on late night radio and
    visiting his website : www.enterprisemission.com I see
    a lot of pictures of the planet Mars and lately a few
    shots taken of the Mars landscape showing a lot of rocks
    and Mars soil....only he claims these "Rocks" are possibly
    ancient remains of fish or animals. It's too early to
    tell for sure but Hoagland has a book out where he claims
    that pictures taken of Mars show the remains of ancient
    cities and constructions built by unknown beings. He is
    convinced that a "Face" is a sculptured construction and
    not just a hill worn by dust storms and tricks of light.
    Near to the "Face" are pyramid shaped buildings or are
    they just ancient wind worn hills?

What do you think? Is he just trying to get people to
    buy and read his book or is he on to something? And what
    about his belief that ancient constructions exist on our
    Moon? He claims he can see ancient towers and glass domes
    on the moon. Some say that NASA air brushes pictures of
    the Moon and from other places to keep UFOs and other odd
    things from the public. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2004 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

I don't think either of those, or not exactly. The first, "is he just trying to get people to buy and read his book", may be close to accurate. However, I get the definite sense that he actually believes (at least to some degree) the claims he is making. The other possibility; "is he on to something?", I find highly unlikely. I have seen rocks shaped by wind and whether right here on earth that resemble various things far more closely than the so-called "face on Mars" resembles a face.

I suspect that he half-believes these claims, but it is a belief born more out of convenience than conviction. I think he "chooses to believe" these ideas so that he can broadcast them publicly and get attention.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  4. Jan 10, 2004 #3

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this post belongs in Skepticism and Debunking:wink:

Most guests and members of PF can make up their own minds about the degree to which various formations, rocks, etc on Mars and the Moon resemble fish, faces, Disneyland, or Richard Hoagland's big toe ... go to the various websites with the piccies and see for yourselves (you can even get the raw data files and do your own processing with Photoshop or whatever).

"Some say that NASA air brushes pictures of the Moon and from other places to keep UFOs and other odd things from the public" How does one deal with this kind of thing? [?]

5. Jan 12, 2004 #4

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome HAL 9000.

Most definitely. I'll beam it there now. I'll try to return soon & discuss it. For now, let me simply say Hoagland =

6. Jan 12, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Jan 14, 2004 #6
    I find this hard to believe, the distance seems too great to make any sort of reasonable assumption (if telescopes are used). Its kind of like trying to find a penny from ten miles away using nothing but binoculars.

8. Jan 15, 2004 #7

LURCH

Science Advisor

Re: Re: Mars rocks and Ancient Constructions?

I took a peak at the images in question, and they are those pics of the Mars rocks found in the Arctic. You might remember the fuss a few years ago when these rocks were examined under an electron microscope and shapes that resemble microorganisms were discovered.

After a good long look and a bit of head-scratching, NASA held a press coference and showed the pics to the public saying, "these look similar to fossilised microorganisms, but we're still looking for other explanations". It is perhaps this press conference to which Hoagy referrs when he says that the photos were "leaked" (that's one heck of a leak; if NASA doesn't get that plugged soon, they'll explosively decompress!!).

9. Mar 19, 2004 #8

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?