Can the Marshak Wave equation be solved using separation of variables?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the user is attempting to solve a PD equation with a spherical symmetrical laplacian and an initial condition. They have obtained a difficult ODE for the radial part of the equation and are seeking suggestions on how to solve it. Two possible approaches are using numerical methods or perturbation methods.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I have this PD equation:
[tex]
T_t=\nabla ^2 T^4
[/tex]
where T=T(r,t) the above laplacian is spherical symmetrical (i.e only the spherical radial coordinate of the operator should be taken into account).
and [tex]Q_0=\int_{0}^{\infty}T(r,t=0)dr[/tex].

So I tried solving it by separation of variables but I get a tough ODE of the radial part.

Here's what I got
[tex]T(r,t)=F(r)G(t) \newline \frac{\frac{dG}{dt}}{G^4}=\frac{\nabla ^2 F^4}{F}=\lambda [/tex]
Now after some manipulations I get for the radial equation the next equation:
[tex]F''(r)+3(F'(r))^2/F(r)+2F'(r)/r-\lambda/(2F(r))^2=0[/tex]

And this is where I am stuck, any suggestion as to how to untie this equation, is even possible?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this PD equation. It is definitely a challenging problem and I can see why you are stuck. The ODE that you have obtained for the radial part is indeed difficult to solve. However, I believe there is still a way to approach this problem.

One possible approach is to use numerical methods to solve the ODE. Since the equation is nonlinear, it may not have an analytical solution. Therefore, numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta method, or finite difference methods can be used to approximate the solution. These methods involve breaking down the domain of the problem into smaller intervals and approximating the solution at each interval. With enough intervals, a good approximation of the solution can be obtained.

Another approach is to use perturbation methods. This involves expanding the solution in terms of a small parameter and solving the resulting equations using a series solution. This method can be used when the parameter in the equation is small, which may be the case in this problem.

I hope these suggestions can help you make progress in solving this PD equation. Best of luck to you!

1. Can the Marshak Wave equation be solved analytically using separation of variables?

Yes, the Marshak Wave equation can be solved analytically using separation of variables under certain conditions. This method involves separating the variables in the equation and solving for each variable separately.

2. What are the conditions for using separation of variables to solve the Marshak Wave equation?

The conditions for using separation of variables are that the equation must be linear, homogeneous, and have boundary conditions that can be expressed as a linear combination of the separated variables.

3. Is separation of variables the only method for solving the Marshak Wave equation?

No, there are other methods for solving the Marshak Wave equation such as the method of characteristics and numerical methods. However, separation of variables is a commonly used and effective method for certain types of problems.

4. What types of problems can be solved using separation of variables for the Marshak Wave equation?

Separation of variables is typically used for problems with simple boundary conditions, such as Dirichlet or Neumann conditions, and where the material properties in the equation are constant. It may also be used for problems with time-dependent boundary conditions, but this requires additional techniques and may be more complex.

5. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables for solving the Marshak Wave equation?

Yes, there are limitations to using separation of variables. This method may not be applicable for problems with nonlinear or time-dependent material properties, or for problems with more complex boundary conditions that cannot be expressed as a linear combination of the separated variables. In these cases, other methods may need to be used to solve the equation.