1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marterial Science (Chemistry Related) Problem

1. Aug 21, 2005 #1
    Material Science (Chemistry Related) Problem

I am having a hard time starting my solution to the following problem:

So far I have been looking throughout the text book at some sample problems but the sample problems are not asking for a similar solution to this question. I have also referred to my lecture notes and have not gotten any where for quite some time. Mentally I thought that I could find the volume of the silicon oxide but I was incorrect in my mental calculations. Please help me get started.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2005 #2

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From the density and thickness, you can get the mass in a square millimeter of oxide. From there, you can get the number of Si and O atoms by knowing how much these atoms weigh.

Carl

4. Aug 21, 2005 #3
    Thanks I did arrive at a solution of 2.21x[tex]10^{15}[/tex] atoms of SI and 4.41x[tex]10^{15}[/tex] atoms of O.

5. Jan 12, 2012 #4
    But What formula did you use? I did not get the same answers

6. Mar 6, 2013 #5
    yes, some clarification to this post is needed. what steps do u take to get those answers?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted