Martin Gardner Passes Away: Tributes

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
In summary: Martin Gardner, one of the most prolific and beloved puzzle writers of the 20th century, has died at 91.While he was best known for his column in Scientific American, Gardner wrote more than 1,500 articles and 25 books on a range of topics, from mathematics to philosophy to science fiction.His work was always filled with playful puzzles and clever games, and he was a major influence on the modern puzzle community.Gardner was known for his trademark eyeglasses and disheveled appearance, and he was often quoted as saying that he liked to be seen as a "mad scientist".He is survived by his wife, Laurie, and two sons.
Physics news on Phys.org
R.i.p.

Oh no :cry:!

When I was in college, sometimes between classes I'd go down into the library archives to where the old Scientific American magazines were kept. Pull a random one out, find Gardner's "Mathematical Games" and lose myself for a bit. It was pure pleasure.

RIP, Mr Gardner, and thank you for all those wonderful breaks from reality you gave me.

Last edited:
Very sad news. :frown:

Martin Gardner was a master of recreational mathematics, i.e. mathematical puzzles and games. Just two years ago I found one of his neat little books entitled "Aha! Insight" and I still enjoy reading it.
Rip Mr. Gardner.

His column in SA was always a favorite. 'Bye, sir.

SA was not easily available in this part of the world when I was young, but I remember feasting on his column in late eighties, when i was able to put my hands on ten volumes of SA from seventies. Could be I even have somewhere here copies of these articles I found more interesting. Really sad news.

I finally got myself to buy that $2 book off amazon of puzzles by Gardner last Friday after thinking on and off to do it for a month & then the next day he died :eek:. I had read his Calculus Made Easy re-release & I'd also heard he was associated with James Randi et al.

A good man whose book I hope to enjoy :biggrin:

I also have just purchased my first Martin Gardner book (less than two weeks ago). I had only recently learned of most of his work, and it's very sad to see such a wonderful resource already gone.

I will remember him mostly for his 1957 "Fads and fallacies", one of the true classics of healthy skepticism and sane humanism.

It belongs right up there alongside Maxkay's work "Extraordinary popular Delusions or the Madness of Crowds"

Here another. There seems to have been quite a delay before the Times and Economist (and therefore I) heard - but the article is quite insightful.

http://www.economist.com/node/16271035

What was Martin Gardner known for?

Martin Gardner was known for his work as a popular mathematics and science writer, particularly for his "Mathematical Games" column in Scientific American.

When did Martin Gardner pass away?

Martin Gardner passed away on May 22, 2010 at the age of 95.

What was Martin Gardner's impact on the field of mathematics?

Martin Gardner's writing and teaching helped to popularize and bring attention to various mathematical concepts and puzzles, making them accessible and enjoyable for a wider audience.

What are some notable tributes to Martin Gardner?

Some notable tributes to Martin Gardner include the establishment of the Martin Gardner Prize for recreational mathematics, an annual celebration of his birthday known as "G4G Celebration of Mind," and the renaming of the Gathering for Gardner conference as the "Gathering for Gardner and Martin Gardner Memorial Celebration."

What is Martin Gardner's legacy?

Martin Gardner's legacy includes inspiring countless individuals to appreciate and engage with mathematics, as well as his contributions to science writing and popularizing recreational mathematics. He also had a significant impact on the skeptical movement, promoting critical thinking and debunking pseudoscience.