Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Martin Gardner dies

1. May 22, 2010 #1

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

R.i.p.

4. May 22, 2010 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh no :cry:!

When I was in college, sometimes between classes I'd go down into the library archives to where the old Scientific American magazines were kept. Pull a random one out, find Gardner's "Mathematical Games" and lose myself for a bit. It was pure pleasure.

RIP, Mr Gardner, and thank you for all those wonderful breaks from reality you gave me.

5. May 23, 2010 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  6. May 23, 2010 #5

Doc Al

Very sad news. :frown:

7. May 23, 2010 #6
    Martin Gardner was a master of recreational mathematics, i.e. mathematical puzzles and games. Just two years ago I found one of his neat little books entitled "Aha! Insight" and I still enjoy reading it.
    Rip Mr. Gardner.

8. May 24, 2010 #7

turbo

Gold Member

His column in SA was always a favorite. 'Bye, sir.

9. May 24, 2010 #8

Borek

SA was not easily available in this part of the world when I was young, but I remember feasting on his column in late eighties, when i was able to put my hands on ten volumes of SA from seventies. Could be I even have somewhere here copies of these articles I found more interesting. Really sad news.

10. May 24, 2010 #9
    I finally got myself to buy that $2 book off amazon of puzzles by Gardner last Friday after thinking on and off to do it for a month & then the next day he died :eek:. I had read his Calculus Made Easy re-release & I'd also heard he was associated with James Randi et al.

A good man whose book I hope to enjoy :biggrin:

11. May 25, 2010 #10

S_Happens

Gold Member

I also have just purchased my first Martin Gardner book (less than two weeks ago). I had only recently learned of most of his work, and it's very sad to see such a wonderful resource already gone.

12. Jun 8, 2010 #11

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

13. Jun 8, 2010 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I will remember him mostly for his 1957 "Fads and fallacies", one of the true classics of healthy skepticism and sane humanism.

It belongs right up there alongside Maxkay's work "Extraordinary popular Delusions or the Madness of Crowds"

14. Jun 10, 2010 #13

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here another. There seems to have been quite a delay before the Times and Economist (and therefore I) heard - but the article is quite insightful.

http://www.economist.com/node/16271035

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook