1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Martingale problem: help writing and equation using the martingale assumptions

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1

Nyn

Hi,

I have been given this problem and the solution however, neither make sense to me.

[tex]x_t=\int exp(t-s)E(k_s|F_t)ds[/tex]

(the integral is from t to infinity)

where

[tex]k_u=m^d_u-(m^d_u)^*-α(y_u-y_u^*)[/tex] for all u>0

suppose (m_t, t>0) is a martingale, what is an equation for x_t using the martingale assumption for (m_t, t>0).

the solutions say

[tex]E_tk_s^2=m_t+E_t(-m_s^*-α(y_s-y_s^*))=m_t+v_s. thus, x_t=m_t+ \int v_s de[/tex]

So, first off I don't know what the martingale assumptions are a simple google search did not yield any useful results. Secondly I can't seem to follow the math (it's been a while since I have done anything other that simple integration).

I am hoping that someone is familiar with the martingale assumptions and can explain this problem to me-or maybe knows about a cite with a good beginners explanation to the topic.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted