1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Martingales and Fn measurability

1. Jul 10, 2006 #1
    By the definition of a martingale Mn, it is a sequence of random variables that are:
    a) integrable; i.e. E(|Mn|) < infinity
    b) Fn measurable where Fn are sigma fields
    and c) E(Mn+1 | Fn) = Mn

now, I am having difficulty proving a) and b) for the following:
    1) Let Xi be a sequence of independent random variables with mean 0 and variance 1 for every i and Fn be the smallest sigma fields generated by X1, X2,...,Xn. Let Mn = Sn^2 - n where Sn = summaton of Xi from i =1 to n.

How do I show that E(|Mn|) is finite?
    I got:
    =E(|Sn^2 - n|)
    =E(|Sn^2|) + E(|n|)
    =E(|Sn^2|) + n
    how do I show that the first term is finite?

and how do I prove that Mn is Fn measurable? (I am having a hard time understanding Fn measurability, if anyone could explain it to me in a simple manner, I would be quite grateful. I do know that its definition is a r.v. X is F measurable if {w | X(w) >= a} is an element of F here a is a real number.

Here, Mn = Sn^2 -n. I know n, being a constant is automatically Fn-measurable. How about the first term? Is the summation of Xi's automatically Fn measurable? what if its squared?

On a related note, what if I define Mn = X1 * X2 * ... *Xn where Xi's are random variables and Fn is the smallest sigma field generated by X1 to Xn. How do I prove that Mn is Fn measurable?

Two final question.
    Let X be a fixed random variable, with E(|X|) < infinity. Let Mn = E(X|Fn).
    1) Is E(X|Fn) automatically equal to X? How about E(|X| | Fn)? Is it equal to |X|? (since X is a fixed r.v)
    2) On a related note, the proof given to show Mn is a martingale is as follows:
    E(Mn+1 | Fn)
    = E(E(X|Fn+1)|Fn)

in the third step is X = E(X|Fn+1) true because of the fact that X is fixed random variable, and hence a constant (same as question 1) or is there another reason?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?