Maryland Grad Students: Share Your Experiences

In summary: Any more thoughts and opinions on its applied math program?In summary,The Maryland Applied Math program requires its students to take at least one qualifying exam in another department, so I was thinking of physics. They also have a list of professors that are part of both applied math and physics. But I have yet to ask them if they're ok with me working with a physics professor not listed on the applied math page.
creepypasta13
One of the graduate schools I got accepted to was Maryland. Its for the Applied Math program, but since I'm also interested in physics, I may later decide to choose to have a physics professor as my research advisor. Anyways, I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on the quality of the school. Are there any current/previous Maryland grad students here who are willing to share their opinions? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

creepypasta13 said:
One of the graduate schools I got accepted to was Maryland. Its for the Applied Math program, but since I'm also interested in physics, I may later decide to choose to have a physics professor as my research advisor. Anyways, I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on the quality of the school. Are there any current/previous Maryland grad students here who are willing to share their opinions? Thanks!

Not an alumnus, but this chart may help.

http://chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-Applied/124704/

Hello,

I am currently a physics graduate student at the University of Maryland. I can't really speak about the applied mathematics program but I would say that Maryland has a high quality graduate physics program. Feel free to ask me anymore specific questions.

If I choose to work for a physics prof, I was thinking of doing theoretical or computational research in condensed matter, plasma, particle, or mathematical physics. My questions are

1) Difficulty of the qualifying exam and its pass rate?
2) Who are the good/bad advisors?
3) What kind of job positions the grad students usually get?
4) What is your opinion of the quality of the professors doing research in the areas I listed above?

1.) The physics qualifying exam at Maryland is not that bad. I would say the exam, on average, isn't that difficult and the majority (80%-90%) of students pass the exam on their first attempt. You also have 3 attempts at the exam (plus a "free shot" so really 4 attempts). Don't get me wrong, you definitely have to prepare for the exam but if you put the effort into passing then you will.

2.) I probably shouldn't say too much about this on a public forum. However, I can say that most of the students here seem happy with their advisors. I have heard negative things about one professor but mainly along the lines that they expect a lot of their graduate students.

3.) This is obviously very dependent on what kind of research you do and who your advisor is so it is hard to make a generalization about this. I can't recall the exact statistics but from what I rememeber the majority of students do obtain academic positions at a variety of schools.

4.) Overall, I would say the faculty in the areas you listed are quite good. The condensed matter and plasma physics groups here have a great reuptation. The particle physics faculty is also really good. They hired a well respected particle theorist this past year and they are hiring another particle theorist next year. There aren't that many professors doing pure mathematical physics research at Maryland. The one professor I know of that does research in this area is quite busy but is well respected in this field.

Most schools won't let you just switch departments like that; they'll make you apply to the physics department if you want to work with someone there on a physics project. And without a background in physics, that probably won't happen.

I'm not sure if this is done the US at all, but it might be possible to have supervisors in two departments, in this case one in Physics and one in Maths. I understand that this is standard practise for PhD students at Imperial in the UK.

eri said:
Most schools won't let you just switch departments like that; they'll make you apply to the physics department if you want to work with someone there on a physics project. And without a background in physics, that probably won't happen.

The Maryland Applied Math program requires its students to take at least one qualifying exam in another department, so I was thinking of physics. They also have a list of professors that are part of both applied math and physics. But I have yet to ask them if they're ok with me working with a physics professor not listed on the applied math page.

I just finished up my undergraduate degree from Maryland, so I can't answer too many questions about the graduate program. I do know that Maryland has an excellent plasma physics group, both theory and experiment.

Since it looks like I won't be getting anymore acceptances, it looks like I'll either have to go to Maryland for applied math or re-apply next year. Any more thoughts and opinions on its applied math program?

creepypasta13 said:
Since it looks like I won't be getting anymore acceptances, it looks like I'll either have to go to Maryland for applied math or re-apply next year. Any more thoughts and opinions on its applied math program?

I have very little to offer, other than a close friend of mine is in the Applied Math program at Maryland, and he loves it.

like I said, not much to offer :P When we talk, it's about mathematics, not his program :P

1. What is the purpose of "Maryland Grad Students: Share Your Experiences"?

The purpose of "Maryland Grad Students: Share Your Experiences" is to gather insights and perspectives from graduate students in Maryland universities to help current and future students navigate their academic journeys.

2. Who can participate in "Maryland Grad Students: Share Your Experiences"?

All graduate students currently enrolled in a Maryland university can participate in "Maryland Grad Students: Share Your Experiences". This includes students from all fields of study and at all stages of their graduate programs.

3. How can I share my experiences as a Maryland grad student?

To share your experiences, simply fill out the survey form provided on the "Maryland Grad Students: Share Your Experiences" website. The form will ask for basic information about your program, as well as open-ended questions about your experiences as a grad student.

4. Will my responses be anonymous?

Yes, all responses collected through "Maryland Grad Students: Share Your Experiences" will be kept anonymous. Your personal information will not be shared or linked to your responses in any way.

5. How will my responses be used?

The responses collected through "Maryland Grad Students: Share Your Experiences" will be analyzed and compiled into a report that will be shared with the Maryland universities and graduate student community. This report will serve as a resource for current and future grad students in Maryland, providing valuable insights and advice from their peers.