1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maschkes theorem/group rings

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    In the statement of Maschke's theroem we are told 'Let G be a finite group and F a field in which |G| not equal to zero. As an example we are told if our group was C2 (cyclic) then we could not have F=F2 (the field with 2 elements). I fail to see how C2 and F2 are related, surely |C2|=2 regardless of F. I do not see how changing the field changes the size of the group. What am I missing??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't alter the size of the group. Nothing says that choosing the field changes the size of the group - I don't see where you got that conclusion from.

|C_2| is certainly 2, and Maschke's result holds in any field where 2 is invertible (i.e. precisely not F_2 or any extension).

Maschke's theorem, or its proof, requires that one is able to multiply through by the multiplicative inverse of |G| in F.

4. Oct 25, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

All the versions of Maschke's theorem that I am familiar with say "over a field of characteristic k where k does not divide |G|" or the equivalent "Over a field in which |G| is not a zero divisor". If your text actually says "over a field in which |G| not equal to zero"- that is very sloppy language.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?