Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masculinity and feminity

1. Jan 4, 2004 #1

Tsu

Gold Member

Within the human male population, I have known extremely 'manly men' and I have known quite effiminate men. I have also seen the same extremes within the female population. What causes men and women to exhibit these characteristics? Is it more hormonal in origin or are we dealing with differences in brain physiology and/or function?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2004 #2
    That is a perfect example of fuzzy logic... I thinks so anyway.

4. Jan 5, 2004 #3
    Combination of hormones, hormone receptor sites and brain physiology.

Nautica

5. Jan 5, 2004 #4
    Feminine:
    • Drives a hatch-back.
    • Has a suit that actually fits.
    • Thinks a "goal" is about personal growth.
    • Can cook.
    • "Understands" women.

Masculine:
    • Drives any other car.
    • Picks clothes for comfort only.
    • Knows who scored the winning goal in the rugby World Cup.
    • Can make a sandwich and be back in front of the television before the advertisements end.
    • Doesn't understand women.

Yes, I am joking!

6. Jan 5, 2004 #5

Tsu

Gold Member

Joking is good. It is very good.
    Nautica,
    Explain 'hormone receptor *sites*'. I'm in medical imaging but this has never been an area that required knowledge of to do my job.

7. Jan 5, 2004 #6
    hormones are chemicals sent from one part of the body to another. when hormones reach the cell that they are sent to, they bind to different proteins on the outside of the cell. depending on which protein they bind to, or where on a cetrain protien they bind to (diferent sites) they can cause different things to happen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?