Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maser or laser?

1. Dec 2, 2015 #1
    so I am hatching an idea for a system of equipment which requires a focussed wavelength which will not greatly widen over distances of less than a mile. Also the waveform needs to be sensible by receiver antenna or something of a similar nature. It is necessary that the waveform be able to penetrate at least an average layer of clothing before contacting the receiver and ideally be able to pass through light structural materials (think drywall).

The end target of this waveform will be human tissue so it has to be biologically inert or have at most some negligible effects over time and repeated exposures.

I'm not sure if a laser/maser or related phenomenon is the answer but to my knowledge it is the closest existing solution to my question. If anyone has any other ideas I would greatly appreciate suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2015 #2

rbelli1

Gold Member

If your signal is biologically inert having that as a target would do nothing. What exactly are you attempting?

BoB

4. Dec 3, 2015 #3
    Mimicking a bullet that would be picked up by a receiver worn by the user, which would then deliver pain stimulus via electric shock to the effected area via software contained in the greater system.

5. Dec 3, 2015 #4

Bandit127

Gold Member

You may want to look at laser pointers for ideas. I suspect you will need a class 3 device to get the range you want, In which case you will need to look at what sort of protection you will need for your users (and targets).

Anything outside of visible wavelengths needs more care because you loose the protection of the blink reflex while the energy may still be able to damage eyesight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety

6. Dec 3, 2015 #5
    Right! This I know already regarding safety. The problem I find is that if a receiver were worn underneath a layer of clothing I don't believe that even a class three laser would penetrate to the receiver. This is why I thought a maser could be the answer as microwaves have more of an ability than light to penetrate materials. Unless Ian mistaken on this subject which is possible.

7. Dec 3, 2015 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

8. Dec 3, 2015 #7
    True honestly I threw down a mile as an arbitrary benchmark. Also have heard of and used miles and think it's a good idea with bad execution. I know there is a better alternative. I just need a focussed wave of something that can be picked up by antenna through a layer or two of clothing

9. Dec 3, 2015 #8

berkeman

I haven't worked with MASERs, but that seems like a logical thing to use to get the ability to go through clothing. Unfortunately, they haven't seen the miniaturization that LASERs have over the past decade or so. Have you looked into what the smaller MASERs look like?

10. Dec 3, 2015 #9

berkeman

11. Dec 4, 2015 #10

tech99

Gold Member

To obtain a parallel beam for a mile would, assuming a 1m diameter dish antenna, require a wavelength less than 0.25mm. It is difficult to obtain a lot of power at such wavelengths, but it would penetrate clothing to some extent I think. A smaller dish would require a smaller wavelength. Not sure a Maser is the best source of power though. I suppose that infra red is the way to go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook