Mason Dixon Meteor / Trajectory

In summary, last week there was a meteor that streaked across northern Maryland and Southern Pennsylvania, causing a sonic boom and shaking houses. Amateur astronomer Mike Hankey captured a photo of the meteor while taking a long exposure of Andromeda. A security camera from York Water Company also recorded the meteor's flight. Hankey has been searching for the meteor and recently acquired a video from Safe Harbor Dam, which could provide more evidence for determining the meteor's trajectory. He is seeking help from the forum to analyze the evidence and determine a more precise location for the meteor.
mikesastro
You might have heard about this story, it was on slashdot.org last week.

On July 6th 2009 at 1:04 AM a fireball streaked across northern Maryland and Southern Pennsylvania. Hundreds of eye witnesses reported the meteor causing a sonic boom and shaking houses. Amateur astronomer Mike Hankey in Freeland MD was shooting a long exposure of Andromeda at the time and the meteor streaked through his picture.

http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/baltimore-pa-meteor/update-on-baltimore-pa-meteor/"

A security cam from York Water Company recorded the meteor's flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXAm...baltimore-pa-meteor/&feature=player_embedded"

I am Mike Hankey and I've been searching for this meteor since I photographed it.

Yesterday I acquired a third recording from safe harbor dam in the middle of the Susquehanna river. The dam was very close along the previously determined meteor path and estimated bulls eye. I wrote the dam last week and asked them to check their security video for the date and time. They were nice enough to check and share the video with me. The video is not a direct sighting but it has 4-5 frames of distinct shadows that could be used to determine a relative location and direction.

I believe there is enough good photographic evidence to get a more precise bulls eye than the one we have now. (current bulls eye red zone is approximately 50 square miles and determined by an aerospace engineer.)

The astro photo of the meteor is very precise because there are stars in it and we know the exact time. The york video is very good as well. The video from the dam only shows shadows but these could be valuable if properly analyzed.

Is there anyone in this forum that could help determine the trajectory of this meteor based on the evidence we have now? I can share with you latitude and longitude and line of sight for all of the sightings. If you can help, please respond to this post or email me at mike.hankey [AT] gmail.com

Thanks,

Mike Hankey
http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/
Astronomers look up, meteorite hunters look down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Check with the astronomy dept. at the Univ. of Western Ontario, meteor branch. They have many meteor cameras there that conceivably caught it and computed the necessary path for recovery, providing it struck the planet. I don't recall their web site, but Google should find it easily from the above.

1. What is the Mason Dixon Meteor?

The Mason Dixon Meteor is a large meteor that entered the Earth's atmosphere and broke apart over the Mason-Dixon line, a historic border between the states of Maryland and Pennsylvania in the United States.

2. How did the Mason Dixon Meteor get its name?

The meteor was named after the Mason-Dixon line, which is the historic border between the states of Maryland and Pennsylvania. The meteor broke apart over this area, giving it its name.

3. What is the trajectory of the Mason Dixon Meteor?

The trajectory of a meteor is the path it takes as it travels through the Earth's atmosphere. The Mason Dixon Meteor's trajectory was determined by tracking its entry and breakup using satellite imagery and ground-based observations.

4. What caused the Mason Dixon Meteor to break apart?

Meteors typically break apart due to the intense heat and pressure they experience as they enter the Earth's atmosphere. The Mason Dixon Meteor likely broke apart due to these forces.

5. Did the Mason Dixon Meteor cause any damage?

There have been no reports of damage caused by the Mason Dixon Meteor. It likely burned up completely in the atmosphere before any pieces could reach the ground. However, it did provide a spectacular light show for those who were lucky enough to witness it.

Back