Mass, Distance & Early Universe: Is It Mere Coincidence?

• I
  • Thread starter dedocta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, this person is calculating the distance squared of the universe and comparing it to the mass of the observable universe. They find that the two numbers are close to each other.
dedocta
TL;DR Summary
Playing around with a dark matter theory, noticed (mass of obs Universe / distance squared) approaches unity
I was playing around with a theory that dark matter was behind the opaque wall of the early universe, as gravity would not be opaque.

Not sure if the numbers fit yet, but one odd thing I calculated was the distance squared of 46 billion light years, as the mass of the early universe, by time, is interacting with us via a thin shell beyond the darkness due to the decreased volume of the Universe ~1 million years in.

Anyways, the number comes out to 1.89*10^53 m^2, while the mass of the observable Universe is estimated to be ~1.5*10^53 kg. m/d^2 would approach unity based off of our mass estimates of the Universe.

Is there any reason those numbers come out like that, or is it mere coincidence?

Physics news on Phys.org
What precisely is this calculation you've done?

Well the first calculation I was doing is not appropriate due to the shell theorem, however, basically if you had a point source of mass at the edge of the Universe, I was wondering what you would get out for force and acceleration at that distance.

F=Gmm/r^2, so the force would be proportional to 5x missing mass of the Universe at that distance. I converted 46 billion light years to meters, which is ~4.35*`10^26 m, square that and you get
~1.89*10^53 m^2. Since that's about 1:1 observable mass:radius of obs Universe squared, a = Gm/r^2 so acceleration would be ~ 5G which again seemed funky!

It's not appropriate, as there's no net force in the shell theorem. However, there's still some kind of affect on the gravitational potential, no? A clock would tick slower in this scenario of a shell of mass surrounding us at 46 billion ly vs a scenario without that (i.e. assumed homogeneity.)

Last edited:
Oh! I left something out, the radius to the edge of the observable Universe is pretty much the radius including what would be beyond the dark opaque wall, as radius of the first seconds of the Universe temporally, would lie maybe @ most 4-10 million lightyears of comoving distance beyond observable radius? I'm not sure how to even calculate that, but I think the radius of the observable Universe >>> distance of the earliest epoch (dark) minus distance of observable Universe. Sorry for edits, first time I'm trying to put these thoughts together...

dedocta said:
Is there any reason those numbers come out like that, or is it mere coincidence?
It is a coincidence and has no physical significance - the pejorative term for stuff like this is “numerology”.

One way of seeing this is to consider that the ratio only approaches one (to the extent that it does) if we choose to measure distances in meters and masses in kilograms - we can make the ratio come out to be anything we please just by choosing different units. And clearly the specific number cannot have much cosmic significance if it’s based on minutiae like the orbital period of one planet that matters only to us.

Generally the real physics is in numbers that don’t change with our arbitrary choices of units. For example, the mass of the electron is ##9.10\times 10^{-31}## kilograms; that tells us more about the kilogram than the electron. On the other hand, the mass of the electron is ##5.45\times 10^{-4}## times the mass of the proton; this will be true no matter what units we use, and has a lot to do with why atoms behave the way they do.

As this thread is based on a misunderstanding we have closed it.

1. What is mass and how does it affect the universe?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It plays a crucial role in the universe as it determines the strength of gravitational forces between objects. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is important in understanding the formation and movement of celestial bodies in the universe.

2. How does distance play a role in the early universe?

Distance is a crucial factor in understanding the early universe. In the early stages of the universe, objects were much closer together due to the expansion of space. As the universe expanded, the distance between objects increased, leading to the formation of galaxies and other structures. The distance between objects also affects the strength of gravitational forces and the rate of expansion of the universe.

3. Is the relationship between mass and distance in the early universe a coincidence?

No, the relationship between mass and distance in the early universe is not a coincidence. It is a result of the laws of physics, specifically the theory of general relativity. This theory explains how the distribution of matter and energy in the universe affects the curvature of space-time, which in turn affects the movement and interactions of objects in the universe.

4. How does the study of mass and distance in the early universe help us understand the origin of the universe?

Studying the relationship between mass and distance in the early universe can provide valuable insights into the origin of the universe. By understanding how matter and energy were distributed in the early stages of the universe, scientists can better understand the processes that led to the formation of galaxies, stars, and other structures. It can also help us understand the expansion of the universe and the role of dark matter and dark energy in its evolution.

5. Are there any current theories or research on the relationship between mass, distance, and the early universe?

Yes, there are many ongoing theories and research on the relationship between mass, distance, and the early universe. Some scientists are studying the effects of dark matter and dark energy on the expansion of the universe, while others are exploring the possibility of multiple universes and their interactions. New technologies, such as the Large Hadron Collider, are also helping scientists study the early universe and its fundamental properties.